Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Reset icon for pdf file type in macOS finder to default for Preview app

On installing PDF Reader Pro, it has not only made itself the default app for .pdf files (which I didn't want either), but also changed the icon for all pdf files that I see in Finder.

I have searched for a solution, but not yet found one.

Of course, I was able to reset the default app to Open .pdf files easily enough (by selecting Change All... in the Get Info panel for a single instance).

But... how do I reset the default icon in Finder to that of the Preview app for .pdf files?

I have restarted my Mac, just in case, but I still see only the icons from the PDF Reader Pro app for all .pdf files - even though I have changed the default app to Open them back to Preview.

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 1:50 PM

Tusen takk VikingOSX, Clunky as it seems to be, I still like the ability to edit and manage PDF's without a monthly subscription that PDF Reader Pro offers. But to see bright red icons all over Finder is too much to bear - for files that are mostly there for reference or occasional use. I much prefer the subtle ones from the Preview app.

So I will take your advice and remove it until I need to edit or sign forms again.

Update: It seems pressing <Cmd-J> did the trick. It has returned the default icon to that of the Preview app. Who knew? So I don't need to ditch PDF Reader Pro for that.

Thanks for stopping in to my virtual village. Sail on :)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2023 1:50 PM in response to VikingOSX

Tusen takk VikingOSX, Clunky as it seems to be, I still like the ability to edit and manage PDF's without a monthly subscription that PDF Reader Pro offers. But to see bright red icons all over Finder is too much to bear - for files that are mostly there for reference or occasional use. I much prefer the subtle ones from the Preview app.

So I will take your advice and remove it until I need to edit or sign forms again.

Update: It seems pressing <Cmd-J> did the trick. It has returned the default icon to that of the Preview app. Who knew? So I don't need to ditch PDF Reader Pro for that.

Thanks for stopping in to my virtual village. Sail on :)

Nov 29, 2023 6:34 AM in response to Gio2021

You could completely remove PDF Reader Pro from your Mac using the vendor's uninstall instructions. That should revert the PDF icon view to the default PDF reader on your Mac — Preview.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC does not alter the Preview icon view.

In a Finder Window, if you press cmd+J and choose Show Icon View, the PDFs will appear as a document icon with a PDF logo stamped on the icon as the first page of the PDF.

Reset icon for pdf file type in macOS finder to default for Preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.