Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp LaserJet 1012 and Big Sur

Upgraded my 2019 MBP to MacOS Big Sur and now cannot print to my trusty hp LaserJet 1012. Keep getting pop up error messages that a "file will damage computer" and then nothing. All was fine in Catalina. Searched HP site and there are no drivers available. Help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 4:07 PM

31 replies

Nov 28, 2020 11:04 AM in response to XraysXrays

Hello again,

In the light of the October debacle, I was under the impression that all signing/certificate problems had been solved by the two companies...

It is interesting that the LaserJet 1012 still today is mentioned in an HP article https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05900790. In this article, there is a link for driver downloads:

Please note that that link has another address (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/ASU/HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg). You may want to check whether this download would change anything.

Also, there is a note in the HP article https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563:

"This might be HP Easy Start, HP Smart, or Mac Printer Driver version

5.1. System administrators and those unable to use HP Easy Start can use

HP Easy Admin to download the software pkg files directly for use in managed or remote deployment environments."

You may want to investigate whether that would allow direct access to a working LaserJet 1012 driver download.

If everything else fails, a LaserJet 1022 driver may or may not work with the 1012 printer. The LaserJet 1022 seems to be supported for macOS 11 Big Sur (at least according to the HP download page for that printer). A discussion Driver HP LaserJet 1020 MacOS Big Sur - Apple Community about using a LaserJet 1020 with a 1022 driver could perhaps also be of some interest in this context.

Anyway, good luck!

Feb 22, 2021 3:21 PM in response to DKHuffer

DKHuffer's post worked for me!

I :

• Turned off HP 1012
  • Went to https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.3/ to download gutenprint-5.3.3_rev.dmg
  • Installed the software (after the package opens, it displays as gutenprint-5.3.3.pkg, but click on that icon and click Command-I and the info window will show it the installer for gutenprint-5.3.3_rev-2.dmg )
  • Turned HP 1012 back on
  • Went to System Preferences ... | Printer & Scanners | Clicked on HP LaserJet 1012 | Clicked on — sign below it to remove it from Printer & Scanners
  • In that same window, with HP LaserJet 1012 icon still selected, click + sign to re-add the HP 1012
  • It should show that Gutenprint 5.3.3 will be used as the printer driver

Then I printed a test page and it worked instantly!

Thanks to LL Cool Jay for originally identifying guntenprint-5.3.3_rev-2.dmg as the proper printer driver and to DKHuffer for posting about turning printer off, reloading 5.3.3_rev.dmg, turning printer back on and getting my much-loved HP 1012 working again!

Dec 1, 2020 8:37 PM in response to XraysXrays

Gutenprint works for the LaserJet 1012 on Big Sur. I had the same problem after upgrading, and love the 1012 printer - have no interest in getting a new printer.

Download from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/

Install, and then delete your printer in the Printers and Scanners preferences and re-add it. Under "Use:" in the Add Printer dialog, click the drop down menu and instead of selecting the HP driver (chosen by default), pick the Gutenprint 1012 driver. Click accept to the warning that appears (noting that it is not a manufacturer provided driver).

Print a test page to confirm and you'll find it works perfectly.

Nov 25, 2020 8:21 PM in response to XraysXrays

Hello,

There have been several problems with HP printers and certificates. See, for example, If your HP printer doesn't work and you see a warning that HP software '...will damage your computer' - Apple Support.

You could check whether the HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X would still work (HP LaserJet 1012 is in the list Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support).

A third-party Gutenprint driver hp-lj_1012 could perhaps be tested (http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php; but please note the information on the home page about installation problems).

Finally, you may want to check whether a driver on the HP site for another model, the LaserJet 1022, could be used. Also see, https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05900790.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2021 12:23 PM in response to JayChuck

Hi,

The HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS download (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?locale=en_US) was updated Dec 11, 2020. It may be a good idea to begin by resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer. Would a suitable HP LaserJet 1012 driver be offered?

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 20, 2021 8:48 PM in response to XraysXrays

I found a simpler solution. You actually don't need any third-party drivers.

1. Delete the printer in Printers & Scanners
  2. Power cycle the printer (this may or may not be necessary)
  3. Add the printer back. Where it says "Use", select "Generic PCL Printer". If you have other drivers installed, you will need to change the default driver selected.

The generic driver works fine for basic printing.

Nov 27, 2020 2:43 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you very much Jan.

Went to the Apple Support page - Looks like Apple has unintentionally revoked older HP drivers certificates. My HP Laserjet 1012 is not AirPrint capable. So I followed the link to HP support.

They tell you to uninstall the drivers, then reinstall. But when you go looking for drivers for the 1012...there are none! HP Printer Driver v5.1 doesn't open in Big Sur.

I'm scared to try Gutenprint driver - its unsupported in Catalina and feel less confident it will work in Big Sur.

I tried to get a driver for another model but it tells you to download HP Printer Driver v5.1 that doesn't work.

Looks like it may be the end of the line for my wonderful Laserjet 1012. It's given me 15 year of wonderful, uninterrupted service! :( Will have to keep a Catalina running MBP around just to have the ability to print. Shame.

Nov 28, 2020 5:28 AM in response to XraysXrays

The previous macOS version would load (but would no longer install) unsigned system extensions or drivers, macOS Big Sur will no longer even load them. Why should that security aspect affect something as inconsequential as a printer driver? Good question, but it's all part of their inexorable quest to protect Mac users from themselves.

Even though it was consider a low-end printer at the time, your HP LaserJet 1012 was well-designed and built to last. I'd get a print server, despite the fact you can get a brand new AirPrint-enabled printer for less than it will cost for an AirPrint print server.

If you decide to get a new printer though, I suggest something other than HP. None of their current products are worthy of consideration. Lower than low-end, whatever that might be. I call it junk.

Nov 28, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks again Jan for your expert help. Looks like I'm out of luck and need to find a a new printer.

Downloaded the HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X again and still no luck. Pkg file doesn't open in Big Sur

Went to the ftp site and downloaded that file, and same thing. Pkg file doesn't open in Big Sur

Downloaded HP Smart - doesn't recognize the printer.

Downloaded HP Easy Start - does recognize the printer but then says it needs to install software and then says it can't find any.

Downloaded the 1022 driver (its the same v5.1 file) - same as above

Jan 1, 2021 9:14 AM in response to vn268

I haven't had success using Gutenprint 5.3.3 to get my HP 1012 to print on my iMac running Big Sur.

I've deleted my HP 1012 from the Printers and Scanners preferences and used HP software to remove HP printer drivers from my iMac, then installed Gutenprint 5.3.3 repeatedly and directed my Mac to add the 1012 using Gutenprint (in the preferences, under "Kind" it reads "HP LaserJet 1012 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.3"). But when I print a test page, all I get (after a few minutes) is a printout that reads "Unsupported Personality: PCL."

I sure would like to keep using my trusty 1012.

Jan 1, 2021 4:17 PM in response to JayChuck

I had the same issue. Note: You want the gutenprint-5.3.3_rev.dmg from 12/5/20. The gutenprint-5.3.3.dmg was released prior to Big Sur and did not work. I had to surf around the gutenprint site to find the _rev version from December.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.3/

You want the gutenprint-5.3.3_rev.dmg from 12/5/20.

hp LaserJet 1012 and Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.