Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 12 Series black bars problems

recently I bought an iPhone 12 Pro all was good until I downloaded a game and when I opened it, it showed huge black bars on the sides (not full screen) and the same thing on YouTube, when I’m watching a video on YouTube, the video doesn’t show on corners black bars on the sides. What’s the problem?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 5:52 PM

Hello JermanKrown and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you have a question about the letterboxing when viewing some content on an iPhone 12 Pro.

In order to really take advantage of the Ultra Wide lens, the aspect ratio of the iPhone 12 Pro Max is very wide—19.5:9 versus a standard widescreen which is 16:9. When the display is wider than the native image, bars are often shown on each side. If the image were blown up to cover the entire width of the display, the top and bottom of the image would be cut off.

iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max - Technical Specifications - Apple

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 5:52 PM in response to JermanKrown

Hello JermanKrown and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you have a question about the letterboxing when viewing some content on an iPhone 12 Pro.

In order to really take advantage of the Ultra Wide lens, the aspect ratio of the iPhone 12 Pro Max is very wide—19.5:9 versus a standard widescreen which is 16:9. When the display is wider than the native image, bars are often shown on each side. If the image were blown up to cover the entire width of the display, the top and bottom of the image would be cut off.

iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max - Technical Specifications - Apple

Cheers.

Iphone 12 Series black bars problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.