Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iMac to Apple Time Capsule

I have been issued with a new High Speed Router for my Broadband. Can I therefore use an Ethernet Adaptor (if there is such a thing?) to connect directly by cable into my original 2T Apple Time Capsule? The Time capsule will no longer be the Wifi source and will be used in the same room as the iMac.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 7:12 AM

4 replies

Nov 26, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Harri Flex

If you need more Ethernet ports, you can add a simple Ethernet switch to one of the Ethernet ports on the new router. Switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port, etc versions. Example:

Unfortunately, the bottom line here is that the Time Capsule must connect using a permanent wired Ethernet cable to your new router......or to the Ethernet switch connected to your new router.......if you want to be able to use the Time Capsule on your network.....no matter where the Time Capsule might physically be located.

You can find an Ethernet switch at any big box electronics store or online.....Amazon, for example.

Nov 26, 2020 7:25 AM in response to Harri Flex

Your new High Speed Router should have 3 or 4 Ethernet ports on the back of the device. You would connect an Ethernet cable from one of those ports.......Use Port 1 if available.......to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

In other words, the Time Capsule must connect to a modem or router using a wired Ethernet cable connection and then be reconfigured to work with the new router.

Once the Time Capsule has been set up again, you can use the WiFi provided by your High Speed Router to back up your Mac(s) to the Time Capsule, which is located close to the new High Speed Router.

If for some reason you do want to locate the Time Capsule in the same room as your iMac (there is no advantage to this performance wise) then you will need to run a long Ethernet cable from your new High Speed Router to the Time Capsule location.

Not sure why you would want to do this though, since the Time Capsule will work the same if it remains close to the new High Speed Router and connects to it using a short Ethernet cable.

You won't use the WiFi provided by the Time Capsule. In fact, you can turn it off if you don't need another WiFi network for guests or the kids to use.

Connecting iMac to Apple Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.