Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up Apple Time capsule as Ext HD no Wireless w/ArrisRBG10

I have a new Arris SBG10 wireless and modem and want to connect my Apple Time Capsule as only an external hard drive. Do I need to initialize my time capsule as it was my prior wireless connection.

I have already turned off the wireless in Airport Utility. I have it connected to the modem via Ethernet cable and Ethernet is plugged in the "0" bottom Ethernet jack of the Time Capsule.

right now it does not show as being connected to my network.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 11:07 AM

If Time Machine backups do not start up again automatically after you reconfigure the Time Capsule, you will need to go into the settings in Time Machine and delete the current settings, then set up Time Machine again.

Open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock), then open Time Machine and click on Add or Remove Disk. Remove the current backup disk, close the windows, then open them back up again to select the new backup destination, which will likely be called "Data", since that is the default name of the Time Capsule disk.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 11:07 AM in response to mpiotrowski13

If Time Machine backups do not start up again automatically after you reconfigure the Time Capsule, you will need to go into the settings in Time Machine and delete the current settings, then set up Time Machine again.

Open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock), then open Time Machine and click on Add or Remove Disk. Remove the current backup disk, close the windows, then open them back up again to select the new backup destination, which will likely be called "Data", since that is the default name of the Time Capsule disk.

Mar 19, 2021 10:17 AM in response to mpiotrowski13

The Time Capsule is "remembering" the settings that is used to connect to your "old" network. It does not know that you have a "new" network, so it is lost and does not know how to find its way.

You will need to perform a Hard Reset on the Time Capsule to get it back to factory settings and then set it up again, so that it will pick up the new settings that it needs from your "new" network. The Hard Reset will not affect any of the data that might already be stored on the Time Capsule hard drive.

To perform a Hard Reset, power up the Time Capsule for a minute.....if it is not already on....and then hold in the reset button for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Connect the Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the modem/router to the "O" (circle of dots) port on the Time Capsule.

The Time Capsule is now ready to be set up again to "create a wireless network". Once you have the Time Capsule up and running, you can go back into the settings using AirPort Utility and turn off the WiFi if you don't need another network for guests or the kids.

To start the setup process, click on the WiFi menu at the of your Mac's screen, then click directly on AirPort Time Capsule just below the heading of New AirPort Base Station. The setup utility "wizard" will guide you through the basic setup. You can use the same name and password as before if you wish. When you see the message of Setup Complete......then.....you can go back into the settings and turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule.

How to set up Apple Time capsule as Ext HD no Wireless w/ArrisRBG10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.