Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

conmect time capsule to imac

I have a 2TB Time Capsule that I would like to use, wireless over internet, with a new iMac. I can’t seem to connect it to internet. Do I need an Ethernet cable to the internet modem? It’s about 50feet away. Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 11:39 AM

The Time Capsule needs to connect to the device that you are calling your "modem" using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. The Time Capsule can be located anywhere that an Ethernet cable can reach, up to 300+ feet from the modem.

Not sure what you mean when you say that you want to use the Time Capsule with a new iMac, but the iMac can connect to the Time Capsule using either another Ethernet cable, or the iMac can connect to the Wi-Fi network that your "modem" is now providing and back up the iMac that way.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2022 11:39 AM in response to Sfun27

The Time Capsule needs to connect to the device that you are calling your "modem" using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. The Time Capsule can be located anywhere that an Ethernet cable can reach, up to 300+ feet from the modem.

Not sure what you mean when you say that you want to use the Time Capsule with a new iMac, but the iMac can connect to the Time Capsule using either another Ethernet cable, or the iMac can connect to the Wi-Fi network that your "modem" is now providing and back up the iMac that way.

conmect time capsule to imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.