Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 14.2 on iPhone 8

Since the update to IOS 14.2 my iPhone 8 has had battery issues. The displayed percentage of power doesn't drop nearly as quickly as pre-14.2 and then the phone will shut down unexpectedly because, in reality I assume, the battery has drained. Very, very annoying. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this with IOS 14.2?

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 2:02 PM

18 replies

Dec 2, 2020 3:22 AM in response to JulianBrad

Yes, very annoying. Put simply my iPhone 7 has gone from 7am to 4pm battery usage to 7am, to 10am with the same daily use, habits. I have got so frustrated I now have my iPhone 5 in use and keep the 7 at home. I am a basic user and all i see is don't do this, switch this off etc etc in the list of hundreds. Put simply if this is not fixed I will sadly consider buying an android phone because this is too much hassle and not acceptable to me. If its not fixed in ios14.3, then apple phones are a thing of the past for me... if I cannot use it for a day. Not a difficult, but i suspect this might have been done on purpose to encourage us to buy new!!!! sad if true, because in my case the trust has been broken if it is not fixed.

Dec 4, 2020 7:27 PM in response to JulianBrad

As an update on this - as expected Apple won't allow a downgrade to IOS 14.1 as old versions of s/ware are unsigned by Apple a very short time after the release of a new one.

My iPhone 8 has had many crashes and restarts since 14.2 was installed and I restored it through Finder on MAC OS to no avail...I don't think. It was also restarting automatically after crashing and after being manually shut down. At the Apple shop it was restored again and this time I am not reloading my data from backup for a couple of days.

So, it's been 2 hours or so and it's behaving itself. The battery %age indicator is slowly decreasing and it's not automatically restarting after being shut down, a good sign. I'll post again when I have a conclusion.

Dec 8, 2020 9:13 AM in response to JulianBrad

UPDATE:. After contacting Apple Customer Support on twitter, I have received help in the form of a wifi diagnostics of the iPhone which did not bring up anything in particular, apart from the fact that my battery has had just over 1000 cycles, but still remain in 83% health (its recommended to change when under 80%). However, after persistently asking "Why" i only get 20% battery now (about 1-2 hours a day), opposed to 6-7 hours under the previous iOS 13, I still have had no valid reason why i had this drop in performance OVER NIGHT. All i have had is constant information about Battery testing and a request to organise a test (Don't know why but sadly, this make me feel highly suspicious). IS ITTHE UPDATE; IS IT THE BATTERY; OR THE IPHONE and even if repaired would it work??? Given that this happened over night, I feel I am being taken for a fool and very much regret the update, but cannot go back. This also now makes me delay the updates on my iMac and other devices I have in the family and severely diminishes my trust in apple. It is a sad day, when the trust and faith i have placed in apple over 18 years seems to be lost in one update, however, I cannot at this moment see this changing. I will visit the apple genius bar as requested, but in principle, I will not invest any more money in a new battery or apple, if there is no guarantee it will resolve the issue. I remain optimistic that i can get back to where i was, but i realise I am just a small fish in a huge ocean of many. I will report back, once my genius bar appointment is finalised. By the way, i have read all the" Turn this off, do not use this, delete this" advice, and i am sad it has come to this. We do not buy these devices to diminish the wonderful technology that has been developed and as Steve Jobs once said, if there is no trust, there is nothing. Let's see.

Dec 9, 2020 9:01 AM in response to JulianBrad

Hello! I have been an Apple user - devoted - since the late 80s. Currently I have an iPhone 8. Since the software update to iOS 14.2, I can no longer easily forward/share a picture directly from iPhotos, let alone more than one and/or to more than one recipient. The screen will freeze (and it does freeze off and on in other apps, as well), the graphics/printed words will sometimes overlap, the send arrow, no matter how much it is pressed will not work. Many times I use this function, i.e. want to sends pics directly to someone via email or text. Also, my phone will not always ring when a call comes in, or when I receive a text or notification - even though I have all the correct settings. I searched the web for a fix to this latest update and saw a 14.2.1 was being pushed to “fix bugs,” and got excited .... until I saw it was only for the iPhone 12 - AND saw that it seemed like Apple is in denial about possible 14.2 bugs for other phone models. Well, 14.2 messed up more than the 12. There are also other little weird things happening since that update. I guess I should be thankful it’s not worse. But it costs a lot of money for new iPhones and Macs and Notebooks and iPads these days. I have never regretted having Apple products/devices - for excellence I didn’t mind paying more. I wish Apple could take the time it needs to make sure their updates are excellent for all feasible models before they push the updates out - then maybe they wouldn’t have to scramble to create updated versions to fix the previous ones. And no one’s perfect - it is very possible that an update’s bug-consequences COULD affect more than one iPhone model even if it wasn’t supposed to. Why does it seem that people forget trust and honestly is equally as important to the consumer (who are also “just people,” too), as is the quality and excellence of the product? Because to me, if more than a handful of people are saying their phone is affected, and it is not a 12 ... someone should entertain the possibility it IS happening.

Dec 10, 2020 2:54 AM in response to JulianBrad

QUICK UPDATE:.  After contacting Apple Customer Support on twitter, I have received help in the form of a wifi diagnostics which did not bring up anything in particular,  apart from my battery has had just over 1000 cycles, but still remain in 83% health.  However, after persistently asking Why i only get 20% battery now (about 1-2 hours a day), opposed to 6-7 hours under the previous iOS 13, I   still have had no valid reason why i had this drop in performance OVER NIGHT.  All i have had is constant information about Battery testing and a request to organise a test (Don't know why but sadly, this make me feel highly suspicious).  Give that this happened over night, I feel I am being taken for a fool and very much regret the update, which now makes me delay the updates on my iMac and other devices I have in the family and severely diminishes my trust in apple. It is a sad day, when the trust and faith i have placed in apple over 18 years seems to be lost in one update, however, I cannot at this moment see this changing.  I will visit the apple genius bar, but in principle, I will not invest any more money in a new battery or apple. I am not convinced a new battery would resolve the issue and there is no guarantee (why always about the battery (what about hardware, software or even a particular app causing the issue). I remain optimistic that i can get back to where i was, but i realise I am just a small fish in a huge ocean of many.  I will report back, once my genius bar appointment is finalised.  By the way, i have read all the Turn this off, do not use this, delete this = advice, and i am sad it has come to this.  We do not buy these devices to diminish the wonderful technology and as Steve jobs once said, if there is no trust, there is nothing. Lets see. I am now speaking to my friends about other devices for the first time in 10 years, maybe its time to move on given that that our values seem to be clashing.

IOS 14.2 on iPhone 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.