Question: MacBook Air (M1, 2020) does not recognise external monitor connected directly to USB-C port when a dongle with an HDMI port is connected to the other USB-C port
Is anyone else having this problem, or does anyone have a solution?
My guess is that this has to do with the M1's being limited to one external display, and somehow it recognises the (unused) HDMI port on the dongle and ignores the external display connected directly to the other USB-C port.
Steps to replicate:
- Connect USB-C dongle with an HDMI port (not in use) to MacBook. I have tested with two dongles from different makers, Satechi and VAVA.
- Connect external display (Dell P2415Q) to MacBook directly with USB-C to DisplayPort cable.
- MacBook does not recognise external display.
- Connect external display (Dell P2415Q) to MacBook directly with USB-C to DisplayPort cable. Since this is done first, the MacBook recognises the display without issue.
- Connect USB-C dongle with an HDMI port (not in use) to MacBook. MacBook maintains its connection to the external display. However:
- Put MacBook to sleep.
- Wake MacBook. External display is no longer recognised.
Thanks for any discussion/help.