Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" with M1 - Volume is way too low

Not sure if M1 MacBooks are tuned differently than a intel-MacBook Air but my Air has noticeably louder speakers. On a facetime call using my M1 MacBook Pro 13, I can hear decently at max volume, whereas Air would be at 3/4th volume level.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 3:24 AM

I don't know if this helps - but I've found in the previously relocated items folder (from Catalina, files that are incompatible with Big Sur, I think) an entire folder called 'Audio' and there are a few things in there.

You can find it by going to the following folders in finder:

Users > Shared > Previously relocated items > Configuration > Library > Preferences > Audio

91 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 3:24 AM in response to art_1221

I don't know if this helps - but I've found in the previously relocated items folder (from Catalina, files that are incompatible with Big Sur, I think) an entire folder called 'Audio' and there are a few things in there.

You can find it by going to the following folders in finder:

Users > Shared > Previously relocated items > Configuration > Library > Preferences > Audio

Dec 8, 2020 1:35 AM in response to Seanessy_

I am having the same issue - I am a musician, I can tell you that the sound quality has significantly decreased compared to even the 2019 13 inch MacBook Pro. The sound on the 13 inch M1 MacBook Pro sounds a lot more muffled and certainly quieter.

I would have thought that this would have been a software issue as opposed to a hardware problem with the speakers - It could be a simple software bug or poor audio tuning from Apple.

I must say though, I didn't do a new setup of the M1 MacBook Pro when I got it, I did a time machine restore thing from my previous 2019 13inch MacBook Pro which was running Catalina - I was thinking that maybe time machine has copied audio (/EQ/MIDI) settings from Catalina over to the M1 MacBook Pro that are not compatible with the M1 :(

Dec 10, 2020 7:33 AM in response to art_1221

I just spoke with someone on live chat and still no fix

I was told to:

1: Plug headphone in to Jack and play some music

2. Unplug headphones

I did this and it didnt make a difference. I reported the issue to Apple about the speakers sounding rubbish. I have attached the link at the bottom if you want to make a report to Apple too.

The more people who report this issue, the likely Apple are to provide a solution.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Dec 14, 2020 3:03 AM in response to edmund_sg

I've attatched a link below from a reddit feed with other users reporting the same issue on the M1.

I have also attatched an Apple feedback link below for anyone who wants to report the issue to Apple, the more who report it, the quicker they'll fix it :)

Has anyone tried factory resetting their m1 macbook pro to see if it fixes the quiet, muffled speakers?

https://amp.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/jwmh1u/mba_m1_speaker_muffled/

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Jan 4, 2021 4:42 PM in response to Seanessy_

Same problem!

Bought a MacBook Air M1, the speakers were out of this world amazing. My wife and I were impressed. I decide to return it and get a macbook pro m1 because I found a good deal on Adorama. These speakers are so soft its unbelievable. What every body on here is experiencing is exactly what I am experiencing.

• Unusable at 50% volume
  • Max power is what it takes to hear anything clearly,
  • And Max Power isn't even loud nor crisp.

It is honestly surprising that the speakers are this bad. I like all of you am hoping this is a software issue.

Dec 8, 2020 3:58 AM in response to edmund_sg

Apologies, I meant if you had done a time machine restore from a macbook pro with Catalina to the m1 macbook running big sur.

No time machine backup from old mac = no previously located items.

Thanks for sharing because this shows that restoring a backup from Catalina isn't the reason why the speaker are rubbish on the M1 macbook pro

Dec 14, 2020 12:02 PM in response to Seanessy_

Same here. Just received my MBP M1 last week and noticed same thing. You can barely hear anything at 25%. Have to turn way up to get any usable volume out of speakers. Went to BB store and tried the MBP M1 display model and was same poor volume.

Coming from 2015 era MBP and those speakers are WAY louder.

How this slipped by the design team is beyond me. These are far from Pro quality in terms of sound volume output.

I submitted feedback to Apple along with opening a case with TS. TS has no idea but is checking with engineering team and supposed to get a call back tomorrow. Like others I hope its not hardware and a simple software fix.

Dec 15, 2020 10:54 AM in response to Sailesh Patel

Sweet, thank-you for sharing. Do you think that the sound is now the same as the Intel MacBook Pro/ airs now? - or kinda hard to say?

Also, yes, there were no notes that their were fixes done to the speakers - I wonder if its because apple made such a mess of it, they just decided to keep quiet about it and quietly fix the software driving the speakers

Anyone else noticed an improvement? :)

MacBook Pro 13" with M1 - Volume is way too low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.