Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch series 4 won't unlock my iMac after updating to Big Sur

So, I know there are a few threads about this already, but they all seem to be based in getting the error that the Apple Watch isn't signed in, and I have a different problem. So bear with me.

After updating to Big Sur, my iMac won't unlock with the Apple Watch, nor does it give me the opportunity to use the double-click on the Apple Watch to confirm things instead of using my password on the computer.

However, the Apple Watch remains paired with my computer. I even tried deactivating "Log in using Apple Watch" and then reactivating it. No problem there, it activated properly and identified my Apple Watch. But it does nothing. It doesn't even try unlocking the iMac using the Apple Watch, and I don't get the "your Apple Watch needs to be unlocked"-message if I try unlocking the computer without the watch being unlocked first.

So, any ideas here? As stated, it isn't a question of "pairing" the iMac and the Apple Watch, it is a matter of the iMac actually talking to the Apple Watch once they have been paired correctly.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 6:03 AM

Howdy PerzecSquared, 

Thanks for reaching out in the Apple Communities. We understand that you’re having difficulties unlocking your Mac with your Apple Watch We can help!

Based on your description, try restarting your Mac, your iPhone and your Apple Watch. Check for iOS updates and watchOS updates.

Try booting into safe mode, logging in and testing to see if the issue persists. You can find the steps for safe mode located here: How to use safe mode on your Mac 

If you’re still noticing issues after safe mode, check to see if this is something that's isolated to just your user on your Mac, or if it's system-wide. Please use the steps from the section “Add a user” to create a new user on your Mac: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If the issue persists, please reach out here for additional support: Get Support

Have a fantastic rest of your day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 6:03 AM in response to PerzecSquared

Howdy PerzecSquared, 

Thanks for reaching out in the Apple Communities. We understand that you’re having difficulties unlocking your Mac with your Apple Watch We can help!

Based on your description, try restarting your Mac, your iPhone and your Apple Watch. Check for iOS updates and watchOS updates.

Try booting into safe mode, logging in and testing to see if the issue persists. You can find the steps for safe mode located here: How to use safe mode on your Mac 

If you’re still noticing issues after safe mode, check to see if this is something that's isolated to just your user on your Mac, or if it's system-wide. Please use the steps from the section “Add a user” to create a new user on your Mac: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If the issue persists, please reach out here for additional support: Get Support

Have a fantastic rest of your day!

Dec 5, 2020 8:52 AM in response to PerzecSquared

Update to watchOS 7.1, as it has a fix for unlocking Macs

If that does not work, it should, but if it does not work, then read the following threads

Check out this thread on fixing Apple Watch unlocking Mac

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251803595?answerId=253458029022#253458029022

Then follow with this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251826134?answerId=253504359022#253504359022

And

I also found that it took awhile for the iCloud Keychain records to propagate and merge on all the systems. More so when you have multiple devices sharing the keychain (I have 4 Macs, the iPhone, and the Apple Watch). I followed both of the above threads, but it was not reliably working until the next day, when I tried again. And I did have to click the enable check box twice the next day, but then it stuck.

And this thread says they also had to toggle the Apple Watch -> Settings -> Siri -> Listen for "Hey Siri" option off then on

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251803595?answerId=253782332022#253782332022

Hints (you will understand when you read the first and second threads):

Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access

Finder -> Go menu -> ~/Library/Sharing/AutoUnlock

System Preferences -> iCloud -> Keychain

My Apple Watch series 4 won't unlock my iMac after updating to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.