Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Phone Numbers in Big Sur Messages app on Mac

Before Big Sur, I used to be able to copy, say, 10 phone numbers, each separated by a comma, and past them into the Messages app... and then send a message to those 10 people.

In Big Sur when I do the same thing, the phone number either converts to one long string of 100 numbers, or (if I do a comma and space) wipes out all the numbers except the first one. This is absolutely repeatable -- the same things happens on my MacBook Pro, my iMac, and my MacMini.

The workaround I have been using, is to copy the numbers on my Mac, and then using the shared clipboard, I paste them into the Message app on my iPhone (which accepts the 10 phone numbers separated by a comma) and then I am able to type and send my message.

This workaround really shouldn't be necessary -- this use work perfectly well on the Message app (iMessage) in Catalina and previous versions. It was very handy feature to have. Why did it go away (or, more hopefully, is this a glitch that is unintended)?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 9:41 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 3, 2021 11:08 PM in response to bradders89

A shared (or universal) clipboard can be enabled between your Mac and, for example, your iPhone, or your iPad. So, if you copy something (like text, for example) on your Mac that copied item can then be pasted on your connected device. Click here for info about it.

That being said, this situation a huge inconvenience and problem for those of us who used cut/paste feature with regard to the contact/phone number field in Messages. This is definitely a bug -- and one I hope gets fixed soon, because I use that cut/paste phone numbers ability quite extensively, and its absence is hobbling me. And yes, there is a work around, but it is not a convenient one at all.

Dec 8, 2020 4:38 AM in response to James Lentini1

This issue has drastically increased my workload when communicating with my customers. I usually paste a bunch of customer contact numbers from Numbers Spreadsheets, and this has worked a treat for all the years we have had the Messages App on the Mac... Now I have to copy & paste one number at a time, or as above, it just ends up with a infinitely long number input into the recipient bar. USELESS!!!

This is one of MANY bugs with Big Sur, wish Id never updated!

No Calculator in the Notification Centre for quick access... Further adding to my regular work load when working on my Mac.

Stop trying to make the Mac's function like an iPad, Apple! It's doing my head in!!

PLEASE FIX THE MESSAGES APP ISSUES ASAP, its a fundamental reason I bought your product for my business.

Dec 31, 2020 7:38 PM in response to bradders89

So far, Apple has not addressed this major glitch in Big Sur. The only workaround that I can find is copying all of the phone numbers you want to use on a shared-clipboard, and then paste the phone numbers in the Messages app on your iPhone. Terribly inconvenient work around.

This is definitely something Apple broke while transitioning to Big Sur.

Jan 1, 2021 3:16 AM in response to James Lentini1

Thanks James - This is probably a really stupid question, and I'm not a total idiot with Mac's, but clearly limited, what do you mean by 'shared clipboard'?

My process of old that used to work before Big Sur, was to select my clients phone numbers from a spreadsheet, and paste them in one fell swoop into Messages Recipient box, worked a treat... But as you know, this no longer works!

In my example, how would you propose your workaround?

Thanks in advance!

Multiple Phone Numbers in Big Sur Messages app on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.