Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 MacPro Messages not working

Just got a refurb 2019 MacPro, and restored from my Time Machine. Messages worked fine on the 2010 MacPro. Messages has not received any new messages, though I regularly get them on my phone. Online suggestions are to log out and back in, but that no longer appears possible, or at least I can't find the command to do so in preferences or anywhere else.

Also, even though the phone numbers are in my contacts, Messages displays many contacts bu number, not name!

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 7:27 PM

Not sure what changes I made, but it's working now. Not sure why restore from Time Machine didn't import the proper permissions.

Messages hasn't synched to show the same messages as my phone, but I can live with that.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

4 replies

Dec 10, 2021 5:15 PM in response to Brian Ehni

On the Mac Pro under Messages / Preferences / iMessage are your "You can be reached for messages at:" correct and enabled?

On your iPhone / Settings / Messages / Send & Receive "You Can Receive iMessages to and Reply From" the same as on the Mac Pro and enabled?

Generally those settings should have your iPhone phone number and your Apple ID. There is nothing on the Mac under System Preferences / Apple ID that needs to either be enabled or logged into. On each device you log into iMessage with the same Apple ID. You can optional enabled Messages in iCloud on each device to store messages in iCloud.

2019 MacPro Messages not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.