Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no disk to select when using Time Machine.

How do I even get started with using Time Machine for backing up my Mac

MacBook

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 2:05 AM

25 replies

Nov 30, 2020 12:25 PM in response to gibhvac

Whew!

How to change the admin password on a Mac…

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/change-admin-password-mac-3535328/

See if you can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine, except all your data will stile there. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

Nov 29, 2020 7:27 AM in response to John Galt

Here is where I am. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. I had an issue with my Mac showing a black screen with a file question mark in the center of the file, flashing. I did go through the steps to get it working, but failed. I ended up taking it to the apple store. The Genius told me I would need a new hard drive, and that would cost around $500 to replace the HD. So I ended up taking it to a friend who’s career was repairing computers. So I do trust him repairing it for the $50 he charged me to repair it. I left it with him and he changed the hard drive, however when I got home I got the same error code with file and question mark flashing. He told me to press and hold option upon start up. I did as he said, which took me to a set up screen, that included setting up a Mac account, as my fingerprint so to speak. After doing that I got to the point where the Mac is “Setting Up Your Mac”. I never could get past that point. So I tried myself and have done almost everything Apple has recommended me do at home. Which has only made things worse. That being said, How do I get Time Machine to back up my Mac if when I get to that section I can’t select any disk to back up to on Time Machine. This is where I am being held up doing anything with my Mac. Sorry for the long message. Would you have any other suggestions or explanation my Mac can’t perform the way it should with the fact being I can access the screens I will include for you to see what I am looking at. Thank you.

Nov 29, 2020 11:17 AM in response to BDAqua

oh okay? What would you suggest I do if I can’t get this Mac working? Apple support has concluded the hard drive needs replacing for $500 plus. I’ve already had it replaced by a 3rd party. So repairing it with another hard drive would not be an option for me. It just seems I am missing something in the steps for how to get it going. It seems it responds differently every tine I try what apple Support app recommends. Any more suggestions?

Nov 30, 2020 3:08 PM in response to BDAqua

So sorry for the delayed response. I will try these instructions. I have one question that may or may not make a difference. When I shut down the Mac to restart it, the only way I can shut it down is by pressing the power button on the keyboard. Will this matter shutting the Mac down using this method? I cannot use my curser to shut it down with any drop down bar at the top of the screen. I just wanted to be sure to ask before I shut it down if it made any difference. Again, thank you so much for your help with this. Crossing my fingers this will work.

There is no disk to select when using Time Machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.