You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard not appearing on some apps and sites since OS14.2 on iPad Air 2.

Banking apps and internet banking websites that require numbers and letters to be entered into boxes no longer work. Clicking on the box no longer brings the keyboard up since OS14.2. No keyboard appears, and the site freezes. This only happens on my iPad Air 2. OS14.2 does not give the problem on my iPhone 6s. Please advise how to sort the problem on my iPad Air 2. I have tried endless hard resets to no avail.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 2:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 1:41 PM

Hi Marlboro17,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand the keyboard on your iPad Air 2 does not appear, when you use banking apps or visiting the websites. We'll be happy to help.

You mentioned performing a hard reset. Can you provide us details of how you performed a hard reset? Are you referring to a force restart? Here's an article on how to force restart an iPad Air 2: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen Specifically the section that says, "If your screen is black or frozen."

In addition, we recommend to follow the steps outlined here: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Please let us know if that helps.

Best regards.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2020 1:41 PM in response to Marlboro17

Hi Marlboro17,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand the keyboard on your iPad Air 2 does not appear, when you use banking apps or visiting the websites. We'll be happy to help.

You mentioned performing a hard reset. Can you provide us details of how you performed a hard reset? Are you referring to a force restart? Here's an article on how to force restart an iPad Air 2: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen Specifically the section that says, "If your screen is black or frozen."

In addition, we recommend to follow the steps outlined here: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Please let us know if that helps.

Best regards.

Dec 8, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Marlboro17

Marlboro17,

Thanks for clarifying that information for us. In reference to your question, the option to revert back to a previous version of the iOS software is unavailable.

To help isolate this behavior further, we recommend to restore the software on your iPhone to factory settings by using a computer. This will install a fresh brand new copy of the iOS software on your iPhone. Then, you'll want to set up the iPhone as new (without a backup). This will allow to test and see, if the issue is located within the current files or software installed on your iPhone. Here’s how to complete the test:

1. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

2. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

3. Set up your iPhone following the steps here: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

*** For step 5 - “Apps & Data”, please select, "Don't Transfer Apps & Data."

4. After completing the set up, test the keyboard on your iPhone and see if the issue returns. If it doesn’t, you can restore the backup you created for step one. Here’s how to restore the backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Cheers.

Dec 8, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Hi again.

Thank you for that thought, but as said on both of my previous notes - this happens on a number of sites, not just one.

Also, whilst it does happen on various apps, it also happens on the relevant ordinary on-line web sites.

It is therefore inconceivable that all of the apps and web-sites need contacting.

Since this only started to happen after the automatic installation of OS14.2 on my iPad, and since it does not happen on my iPhone 6s which also runs OS14.2, the only logical conclusions are either:-

• OS14.2 became corrupted on download or installation.

or

• There is a problem with OS14.2 on iPad Air 2 (type MGKL2B/A).

If any senior engineer at Apple can offer another logical conclusion, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Alternatively, how can I go back to the previous version of software, or reload OS14.2?

In the meantime, you have a very unhappy customer.

With best regards

Dec 7, 2020 2:55 PM in response to Brian_P7

Hi Brian

Thank you for your response.

I did the hard resets by holding the home button and the on/off button together until the Apple logo appeared.

I have looked at your second recommendation, but that doesn’t really apply because at least four separate apps are affected by the “no keyboard appearing” issue.

Please let me know of you have any further suggestions. I would go to the local Genius Bar, but it is closed due to Covid. I am therefore stuck with no banking on my iPad.

Best regards

Keyboard not appearing on some apps and sites since OS14.2 on iPad Air 2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.