Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a Mac book air 13 -inch early 2015 running MAC OS Catalina 10.15.7 i keep receiving the update request to Mac OS Big Sur and have downloaded the update at least 10 times but always receive an error that installation cannot be completed

any one can help to fix it ? i tried to upload the software in many ways go to apple Store or allow auto updating ..none is working..

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 3:49 AM

12 replies

Nov 29, 2020 3:08 AM in response to luigibhaa

Yes try again for the Apple Store but first check if your drive is using FileVault. If so, temporary Turn it Off. It can be Enables after a successful Big Sur UpGrade.

My personal experience on Retina MBA 2018 with T2 chip. Made a Bootable Installer of Big Sur. Got in to Recovery Mode and enabled booting from External Drive ( T2 Chip by default does not allow). Booted from Installer. Immediately, received Notice from Apple Servers " that an Update was Required to continue to use this disk." Allow it to do, computer rebooted to USB Installer and all when fine. The Point being, after Big Sur was installed, discovered the Notice about continue to use this disc was Actually BOOT ROM Upgrade required to install and use Big Sur.

Nov 29, 2020 5:16 AM in response to luigibhaa

Would suggest contacting Apple Support directly ( Phone or Live Chat ) and / or via Feedback.. Their System Status is showing all systems are working.

Reading many others have similar issues on relatively newer Apple Laptops of various Models and years. Have read where MacBookPro 2013 and 2014 are being denied the UpGrade to Big Sur or if installed has borked their computers. Very limited issues of similar type for MBAs though except where Empty Space Requirements are not met.

Nov 29, 2020 4:57 AM in response to PRP_53

disabled FileVault ..

tried Terminal and got no update available ..then downloaded it again and got the error message below

did not try the bootable installer option i may not be good to make this work ..i disabled the automatic update but as soon as the download is completed apparently start the auto installation and stops by errors..

many thanks

Nov 29, 2020 4:52 AM in response to PRP_53

I am having the same issue as described above. I did have anti virus on it for a brief time (I did not realize I did not need it). I did not install it back on for quite some time but do you think I could have corrupted my hard drive? How do you go about fixing this issue? I should mention I reset and erased all memory on my laptop because I am giving it to someone else. When I try to reinstall macOS I get error messages saying there was no software found to install it.

i have a Mac book air 13 -inch early 2015 running MAC OS Catalina 10.15.7 i keep receiving the update request to Mac OS Big Sur and have downloaded the update at least 10 times but always receive an error that installation cannot be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.