Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system photo library

I followed the instructions here (https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&type=organic&src=support_searchbox_main&locale=en_US&q=system+photo+library) but when I open photos preference the option to "use as system photo library" is greyed out and can't be checked. iCloud is signed in on computer and turned on in iPhoto and I have just one photo library but it is not uploading the photos on phone, which is also signed into same iCloud. thanks!

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 6:21 AM

4 replies

Nov 28, 2020 7:41 AM in response to Elizabeth Kley

Do you have enough iCloud space for the whole library? (The free 5GB is unlikely to be enough).

Do you have enough space on the phone for the complete library - and enough space on the mac.

iCloud photos will sync your full library onto all your devices AND in iCloud. If any of the devices don't have enough space for this, you can switch on "Optimise device storage" on whichever device has insufficient space, and it will offload all the photos keeping only low res previews on the device, but downloading the full res images whenever you need it.

Please be aware that whatever you do on one device will be replicated to the cloud and to all the other devices. Delete a photo on your phone and it will be deleted everywhere.

system photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.