Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers 'stocks' spreadsheet currency discrepancy between Mac and iPhone?

Hi,

I've set up a portfolio tracking spreadsheet using my Mac and the standard template. This auto-formatted to JPY (despite being US stocks) which I'm quite happy with since I live in Japan.

Thing is when I access the same document on iPhone it switches everything to GBP. I've tried changing the formatting of the cells to JPY manually but this just results in garbled numbers. The data (portfolio profit, etc) seems to be correct for the GBP value on iPhone, and correct for the JPY value on Mac. I just want them both to display JPY.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 7:40 PM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2020 8:21 AM in response to SGIII

I was wondering that too. I don't use the STOCK function except when someone posts a problem. I thought it returned the financial data in the currency it trades in. For instance, 0388.HK (Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited) returns its value in HKD while AAPL returns its in USD. The cell must be formatted as Automatic, though. If it is formatted as a particular currency, it will simply tack that currency symbol onto the number without actually converting the value to that currency.

Assuming STOCK is returning the correct price with the correct currency symbol for that price, the CURRENCYCONVERT function can be used to convert it to another currency. I never used that one before today; I didn't even know it was there.

Nov 30, 2020 4:28 PM in response to Badunit

It turns out my iPhone was still set to UK, despite having switched the store region to Japan. Settings->general->language and region fixed it.

@Badunit - the financial data is in the local currency (eg USD for AAPL) but all the calculations based on units owned, PnL, etc, are localised to the currency of your region. So I buy x number of stocks then enter the purchase price in JPY, and the value change is calculated in JPY

Numbers 'stocks' spreadsheet currency discrepancy between Mac and iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.