Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can we add a currency (like PKR) to a Numbers sheet?

I can see the option to add some currencies like USD to a numbers spreadsheet. However, I live in Pakistan and cannot see the option to add PKR to the spreadsheet. Is there a workaround that I am unaware of?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 8:51 PM

I found a way to do it but it a little painful.

1. In a cell, say it is cell B2, enter a number and format it as a currency (any currency will do)
  2. In another cell use the formula =CURRENCYCONVERT(B2,"PKR"). This one cell will be formatted a PKR "automatic". PKR will be at the bottom of the list of currencies, but only for this one cell. It will not be on the list for any other cell.
  3. Change the format of the cell to Currency. It cannot be "automatic" or you won't be able to do the next steps.
  4. Delete the formula. The format should remain.
  5. Use Copy/Paste to get the the format into other cells. Or you can use Copy Style and Paste Style.
  6. You can now delete the entry from step 1.
  7. Make sure you always have at least one cell formatted as PKR Currency or you'll have to do all this again.

(I edited these instructions as I played around to find easier ways to do it)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2022 8:51 PM in response to hasan_ali_4758

I found a way to do it but it a little painful.

1. In a cell, say it is cell B2, enter a number and format it as a currency (any currency will do)
  2. In another cell use the formula =CURRENCYCONVERT(B2,"PKR"). This one cell will be formatted a PKR "automatic". PKR will be at the bottom of the list of currencies, but only for this one cell. It will not be on the list for any other cell.
  3. Change the format of the cell to Currency. It cannot be "automatic" or you won't be able to do the next steps.
  4. Delete the formula. The format should remain.
  5. Use Copy/Paste to get the the format into other cells. Or you can use Copy Style and Paste Style.
  6. You can now delete the entry from step 1.
  7. Make sure you always have at least one cell formatted as PKR Currency or you'll have to do all this again.

(I edited these instructions as I played around to find easier ways to do it)

Jul 20, 2022 4:26 AM in response to hasan_ali_4758

Custom formats are not supposed to disappear. I've never had one disappear.

A custom format only applies to the document in which you made it. If you want it for other new documents without having to make it again, create a template that has it, save it as a template, and use that template for new documents. You can also copy/paste or copy style / paste style a formatted cell from one document to another to transfer a custom format to a new document.

Jul 19, 2022 5:58 PM in response to hasan_ali_4758

Usually the answer is to change the region of your spreadsheet (File->Advanced->Language & Region) to the region that would include that currency, type a value into a cell and format it, then change the region back to whatever you wanted it to be. That did not work for me this time. Even if the region is Pakistan, PKR is not on the list on my computer. If it had worked, though, PKR would be on the list of currencies and would remain there as long as at all times there was at least one cell in the spreadsheet that uses it.

The other option is to create a custom format. It will display correctly but cannot be used in the CURRENCYCONVERT function because it will not accept it as a currency.

Jul 19, 2022 6:00 PM in response to hasan_ali_4758

HI hasan-ali,

I've not seen a method for adding a currency symbol to the ones available in the Currency format list, but…

You could create a Custom format for Number values. Here's a sample.

Placement of the PKR symbol could be changed by putting it in the correct location with respect to the integer token and the decimal token.

The Custom Format editor is shown with a result of that format shown in the table in the background.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 19, 2022 9:11 PM in response to hasan_ali_4758

And another way is to change your currency to PKR in System Preferences->Language & Region->Advanced. It will appear on the list of currencies in Numbers. You can do it temporarily, just long enough to format the necessary cells, then set it back to what it was before. After that you can do copy/paste or copy style / paste style or click/drag to get it it into other cells, same as with the other method.

Jul 20, 2022 4:43 PM in response to hasan_ali_4758

Custom formats are document specific.

You may be able to Copy the style of a cell using the custom format (select the cell, then press option-command-C) then Paste that style/format into a cell on the second document (select the cell, then press option-command-V).

Once placed in that document, the custom format should show as an option in the Format Inspector of the new document.

Regards,

Barry

How can we add a currency (like PKR) to a Numbers sheet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.