Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable inline attachments on viewing incoming email

I have Big Sur, but this was also a problem on earlier versions.

I ran the terminal command to disable inline viewing of attachments:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool YES

This works when I am composing an email. But if I send the email to myself and view it, I still get the same old annoying behavior of viewing some attachments inline and some as icons.

How can I stop this, other than by not using Mac's mail program?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 10:13 AM

I am afraid it is not a joke. You can tell Mail to make all attachments an icon in your composition view, but it will not distinguish between PDF's and image files such as jpg or png, so everything will be viewed as an icon. Or you can tell Mail not to present the attachments as icons, in which case all one page PDF's and image files will be displayed in line, contents showing.

It is important to remember that this applies only when you are composing an email - it is your view as you write the email. How attachments are handled by the email program at the reception end is, of course, out of the control of Mac Mail. A little more control over how an email might look on the other end would be nice, but anything like that would involve creating standards that all email programs could adhere to. People who want emails to look a certain way, such as the emails you received from Apple, generally use html encoding, and it seems like most mail programs adhere to the same basic set of standards there.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 10:13 AM in response to giselbert74

I am afraid it is not a joke. You can tell Mail to make all attachments an icon in your composition view, but it will not distinguish between PDF's and image files such as jpg or png, so everything will be viewed as an icon. Or you can tell Mail not to present the attachments as icons, in which case all one page PDF's and image files will be displayed in line, contents showing.

It is important to remember that this applies only when you are composing an email - it is your view as you write the email. How attachments are handled by the email program at the reception end is, of course, out of the control of Mac Mail. A little more control over how an email might look on the other end would be nice, but anything like that would involve creating standards that all email programs could adhere to. People who want emails to look a certain way, such as the emails you received from Apple, generally use html encoding, and it seems like most mail programs adhere to the same basic set of standards there.

Dec 7, 2020 9:55 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi, is this a joke or real? I need to sent all PDFs as attachments, because they will be automatic read at the other side. For documentation purposes I have to print some mail, but want to see also the 1-page-PDFs as icons. Ist their any posibility to do so - or another mail client which is fully synchronized with Apple mail / iCloud? Thank you in advance for a detailed information (I'm not a Mac Pro).

How to disable inline attachments on viewing incoming email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.