Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new MacBook Pro is making a loud, screeching noise from the right speaker.

I was on a Zoom meeting on my laptop yesterday and, out of the blue, the right speaker started to make a really loud sound. It is not the normal fan sound. I turned it off and as soon as it turned back on the noise continued. I closed everything and left it alone for a while and it stopped, but then when I touched the keyboard again it made like a one-time noise - it literally sounds like an angry cat. It is super weird.

I played music and the music is fine but the noise continues while it plays. I muted the speakers and the noise continues... What could it be?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 5:11 PM

Could this be audio feedback because the speaker volume is too high or mic gain is too high? The easy check would be to mute the mic and see if the speaker noise stops (that would suggest feedback). The fix for feedback is to reduce mic gain and/or speaker volume.

If the noise continues with the mic muted you might have a defective speaker. Contact Apple Support, https://getsupport.apple.com/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 5:11 PM in response to MValerin

Could this be audio feedback because the speaker volume is too high or mic gain is too high? The easy check would be to mute the mic and see if the speaker noise stops (that would suggest feedback). The fix for feedback is to reduce mic gain and/or speaker volume.

If the noise continues with the mic muted you might have a defective speaker. Contact Apple Support, https://getsupport.apple.com/

My new MacBook Pro is making a loud, screeching noise from the right speaker.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.