Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reduce Inbox Emails Using Smart Mailboxes

Can I reduce my daily flow of emails into the Inbox by streaming the emails into Smart Mailboxes? This would allow me to read the emails when I want to tackle a subject area, rather than have to unjumble them from the daily flow.

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:17 PM

Yes you can. However, I would create rules to move incoming email into specific mailboxes.

Then create a smart mailbox with the criteria "Mail is Unread".

Then you'll have all of your unread emails in one place but they actually will be stored in their assigned mailboxes via the rules. Once you read them they will no longer be shown in the Unread smart mailbox but will still be in their assigned mailboxes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 4:17 PM in response to Graham1942

Yes you can. However, I would create rules to move incoming email into specific mailboxes.

Then create a smart mailbox with the criteria "Mail is Unread".

Then you'll have all of your unread emails in one place but they actually will be stored in their assigned mailboxes via the rules. Once you read them they will no longer be shown in the Unread smart mailbox but will still be in their assigned mailboxes.

Dec 1, 2020 10:03 AM in response to Graham1942

If you create a rule to move emails to specific mailboxes you'll have to select all existing emails in the inbox and Control (right) - click on them and select Apple Rules from the contextual menu to move them to the mailboxes they are destined for. New email coming in will automatically be directed to those mailboxes and will show up in the Unread Smart Mailbox.

Reduce Inbox Emails Using Smart Mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.