Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail cleaning out the inbox

I have on average 10,000 emails in my inbox. I also have multiple client specific, smart mailboxes set up. I assume that if I delete an email from the inbox, it deletes the email from the corresponding smart mailbox (if that's not correct, that's great). My goal is to have fewer emails in my inbox and most of my emails stored somewhere out of sight, but accessible if necessary. If there is a way to achieve this it has alluded me.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 9:13 AM

B_Rab wrote:

I have on average 10,000 emails in my inbox. I also have multiple client specific, smart mailboxes set up. I assume that if I delete an email from the inbox, it deletes the email from the corresponding smart mailbox (if that's not correct, that's great). My goal is to have fewer emails in my inbox and most of my emails stored somewhere out of sight, but accessible if necessary. If there is a way to achieve this it has alluded me.

Create a folder in the "On My Mac"... move any emails you want to keep out of the inbox into those new folders.

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2023 9:13 AM in response to B_Rab

B_Rab wrote:

Create a folder in the "On My Mac"... move any emails you want to keep out of the inbox into those new folders.

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Apple Mail cleaning out the inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.