Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data migration: Backup in use; try again later.

I'm trying to restore data from my old MacBook Pro to a brand spanking new one. The last backup completed without errors, and then I switched off automated backups before shutting down the old laptop. But when I locate the backup to migrate old data to my new laptop, the backup status says:

Backup in use; try again later.

It's clearly not in use, so what are my options? The brilliant new Mac offers no help or other options...

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 10:55 AM

I couldn't fix it during the new MacBook setup. However, these steps eventually got it migrated:

OLD MACBOOK:

System Preferences > Time Machine > Switch off "Back Up Automatically"; switch on "Show Time Machine in menu bar".

From Menu Bar > Time Machine Icon > "Back Up Now".

Wait for it to back up and finish cleaning up.

... then ...

NEW MACBOOK:

Finish setting up the MacBook.

Install the updates to get up to latest version.

Open Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant: Migrate from Time Machine backup.

...the backup was then available and the data could be migrated.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 10:55 AM in response to alpirrie

I couldn't fix it during the new MacBook setup. However, these steps eventually got it migrated:

OLD MACBOOK:

System Preferences > Time Machine > Switch off "Back Up Automatically"; switch on "Show Time Machine in menu bar".

From Menu Bar > Time Machine Icon > "Back Up Now".

Wait for it to back up and finish cleaning up.

... then ...

NEW MACBOOK:

Finish setting up the MacBook.

Install the updates to get up to latest version.

Open Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant: Migrate from Time Machine backup.

...the backup was then available and the data could be migrated.

Data migration: Backup in use; try again later.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.