Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers monthly budget

Hello, i have been wasting my time for a number of months keeping track of my monthly spending and budget on "notes" and i have recently decided i want to convert to using "Numbers" to be more organized and allow its functions to make my spending and saving math easier. However i have ran into a problem..

Everytime i attempt to edit the categories section (on the transaction sheet) "Monthy Budget" it will not work. For example "Home, Travel, Auto, Entertainment" are all options built into the template but i want to create my own spending categories adn everytime i attempt to edit the current categories it just deletes what i typed and reverts back to original. So dang frustrating. What is going on? The numbers app is up to date (10.3.5) and my macbook is also up to date. PLEASE HELP!

Grant

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 8:03 PM

Are you talking about here?

If so select the cells in the body of that column, i.e. C2 and down, and in the panel at the right change the category names:

Just double-click a name in the menu and edit it.

After you've done that you'll need to edit the names in column A of the Summary by Category table to exactly match the new names in the Pop-Up Menu in the Transactions table.

SG

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 8:03 PM in response to GWORD13

Are you talking about here?

If so select the cells in the body of that column, i.e. C2 and down, and in the panel at the right change the category names:

Just double-click a name in the menu and edit it.

After you've done that you'll need to edit the names in column A of the Summary by Category table to exactly match the new names in the Pop-Up Menu in the Transactions table.

SG

Dec 1, 2020 4:16 PM in response to GWORD13

GWORD13 Said:

"Numbers monthly budget: [...]i want to create my own spending categories adn everytime i attempt to edit the current categories it just deletes what i typed and reverts back to original. So dang frustrating. What is going on? The numbers app is up to date (10.3.5) and my macbook is also up to date. PLEASE HELP!"

-------

Try Using Duplicates:

First...

Create a Duplicate of the File:

To avoid losing a file, you should duplicate it. Then, once duplicated, fiddle around with the duplicate. See what happens.

I. Duplicate the File:

1. Close: the file
  2. Right-Click: the file
  3. Select: Duplicate

Then...

B. Duplicate the Spreadsheet:

1. Open: the Duplicate
  2. Click the down arrow on top next to the sheet name, then select Duplicate.
  3. Once duplicated delete the original spreadsheet.
  4. Having been deleted, rename this duplicate to that of the original spreadsheet.

Dec 3, 2020 6:51 AM in response to SGIII

Thank you so much, this worked and it was very helpful. I am however having trouble with the "budget" sheet or summary. The data is not transferring over... I made it simple by putting a $1, $2, $3 etc. in each of the categories so that i could identify the correct category from the transaction sheet vs the budget summary sheet but the original numbers are showing up still so even if i was able to identify the correct group the numbers are not correlating. Any suggestions? Did i screw up the function rules?

Grant

Dec 3, 2020 5:44 PM in response to GWORD13

GWORD13 wrote:

The data is not transferring over... I made it simple by putting a $1, $2, $3 etc. in each of the categories so that i could identify the correct category from the transaction sheet vs the budget summary sheet but the original numbers are showing up

Try A, B, C instead and make sure they are exactly the same in the Pop-Up menu in the Transactions table and the Summary by Category table. Any difference and the values will not carry over.

SG

Numbers monthly budget

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.