Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monthly Budget: categories and transactions

Good morning,

I'm trying to use the "monthly budget" template in Numbers, but I'm stuck on one of the steps. I've been able to create a new category, but I just can't "link" it to the pop up menu on the transaction sheet.

Can anybody help me?

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 5:04 AM

After adding a new category in column a of this. table:

Go to the second sheet and add the category to the Pop-Up menu here by selecting C2, then clicking Format in the Toolbar and going to the Cell tab, and clicking the + :

After you've done that, select the cell (C2), command-c to copy, select the other body cells in that column, and command-v to paste.

Make sure the spelling is exactly the same in column A of Summary table and the Pop-Up Menu in the cells in column C of the Transactions table.

SG

Bonus tip: If you have many categories you want to add, you don't have to click the + repeatedly to add each one if you don't want to. You can list your categories in successive blank cells, then select them together, and Format > Cell > Pop-Up Menu. Then copy-paste the resulting menu into cells where you need it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2021 5:04 AM in response to JessicaBernal

After adding a new category in column a of this. table:

Go to the second sheet and add the category to the Pop-Up menu here by selecting C2, then clicking Format in the Toolbar and going to the Cell tab, and clicking the + :

After you've done that, select the cell (C2), command-c to copy, select the other body cells in that column, and command-v to paste.

Make sure the spelling is exactly the same in column A of Summary table and the Pop-Up Menu in the cells in column C of the Transactions table.

SG

Bonus tip: If you have many categories you want to add, you don't have to click the + repeatedly to add each one if you don't want to. You can list your categories in successive blank cells, then select them together, and Format > Cell > Pop-Up Menu. Then copy-paste the resulting menu into cells where you need it.

Jun 29, 2021 7:59 AM in response to JessicaBernal

JessicaBernal wrote:

I'm trying now to create subcategories.... I'd like to get "electricity", "water"... under "utilities".

The current structure of the template doesn't handle subcategories well. You could consider just treating electricity and water as

"full" categories and not have a "Utilities" category.

You could then, if you wanted, then group categories together in the Summary table and calculate subtotals.. But that will mess up the charts.

A possible solution would be to add a column with higher level categories (so you would have, say, "Electricity" in the existing column A and "Utilities" in the added column) and use that last column as the basis for the charts.

SG

Monthly Budget: categories and transactions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.