Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add Categories to Monthly Budget template

How to add Categories to Monthly Budget template so that they populate between Budget and Transactions?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 8:01 PM

Do you mean the 'Personal Budget' template?

If so go here and, with C2 selected, edit/add items in the Pop-Up Menu in the panel at the right.:

Once you have the items in C2 Pop-Up Menu the way you like them, select C2, command-c to copy, select all cells in column C from C2 down, and command-v to paste. The will place the revised Pop-Up Menu in all the body cells of that column.

Then go here and enter names under Category in column A that exactly match the items you have in the Pop-Up Menu that you just revised. Make sure the spelling is exactly the same, with no extra spaces, etc. If you added categories in the Pop-Up Menu in the Transactions table just add new rows to match them in the Summary by Category table.

SG

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 8:01 PM in response to Bullmoose66

Do you mean the 'Personal Budget' template?

If so go here and, with C2 selected, edit/add items in the Pop-Up Menu in the panel at the right.:

Once you have the items in C2 Pop-Up Menu the way you like them, select C2, command-c to copy, select all cells in column C from C2 down, and command-v to paste. The will place the revised Pop-Up Menu in all the body cells of that column.

Then go here and enter names under Category in column A that exactly match the items you have in the Pop-Up Menu that you just revised. Make sure the spelling is exactly the same, with no extra spaces, etc. If you added categories in the Pop-Up Menu in the Transactions table just add new rows to match them in the Summary by Category table.

SG

Jan 28, 2021 12:56 PM in response to Bullmoose66

Assuming that you have a column that contains pop-up menu cells listing all categories:

Select the cell in the first unused row of this column.

Delete the contents of this cell, then enter the new category.

Repeat in cells below for more new items.

Select all cells containing pop-up menus and the cells containing new item values for those popup menus,

In the Cell section of the Format Inspector, set the Data format to Pop-up menu.

All selected cells will then contain a copy of th full menu, each set to the value it displayed when the cels were selected.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 31, 2021 8:20 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks SG. One problem I have is when I go to the first empty space in the pop up, at the bottom of the list, and hit the + it inserts a blank row above it. For instance the last item in the template is "other". I highlight the blank row below "other" and hit the + symbol. Once I hit the + it adds a blank row under "other" then my added category "insurance". Is there a step that I have missed?

Bullmoose66

Jan 31, 2021 8:29 AM in response to SGIII

Alrighty this works. I cannot thank you enough for giving me the step-by-step, with the images, to get this done successfully. I have tried for 2 years to get this to work with other people trying to help here on discussions. You are a good teacher by using the step-by-step approach and including the images. Please keep up the good work.

Bullmoose66

How to add Categories to Monthly Budget template

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.