Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

I just bought this Apple lightning to USB camera Adapter (MD821AM/A) When I'm trying to use this adapter, it keep showing this error msg "This accessory requires too much power". Tried in iPhone XS, iPhone 7 plus, iPad 7th Gen, iPad Air 2 all these Apple devices updated into iOS 14.2. Need some help to fix this issue.

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 3:46 PM

The USB accessory that you are connecting requires more power than the iPad alone can supply. This is often seen when connecting USB storage devices.

There are a number of ways to resolve this issue...

1) Ensure that the USB device has its own source of power. Some USB devices are battery powered - or can be directly connected to an accessory power adapter.

2) Connect both the USB device and the iPad (with your chosen Camera Adapter) to a powered USB Hub - the hub then provides power to the USB device over the USB connection.

3) Use the alternative (recommended) Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

This Camera Adapter, in addition to a Lightning plug to connect to the iPad, has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connection and a pass-through Lightning port - to which you connect your iPad Power Adapter. When connected, the Power Adapter will both charge the iPad and provide adequate power for the majority of USB “flash memory” storage devices.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 3:46 PM in response to arun137

The USB accessory that you are connecting requires more power than the iPad alone can supply. This is often seen when connecting USB storage devices.

There are a number of ways to resolve this issue...

1) Ensure that the USB device has its own source of power. Some USB devices are battery powered - or can be directly connected to an accessory power adapter.

2) Connect both the USB device and the iPad (with your chosen Camera Adapter) to a powered USB Hub - the hub then provides power to the USB device over the USB connection.

3) Use the alternative (recommended) Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

This Camera Adapter, in addition to a Lightning plug to connect to the iPad, has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connection and a pass-through Lightning port - to which you connect your iPad Power Adapter. When connected, the Power Adapter will both charge the iPad and provide adequate power for the majority of USB “flash memory” storage devices.

Dec 1, 2020 4:02 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hi Lotus,

Thanks for your reply.

I have same adapter couple of month ago and i used my iPad its working fine too. But i lost my old adapter so i bought this new one and facing this issue.

So now you're saying I have purchase other one or i have to use USB hub with power source, am I right?

But that's not solution, i trust Apple and i bought this adapter and suddenly everything is change, Apple giving alternate solution, I'm disappointed.

Dec 1, 2020 4:38 PM in response to arun137

Yes, I’m suggesting that there is a Lightning to USB Adapter that is better suited to your your needs. USB Storage devices need power - and the iPad alone, via the Lightning port, is unable to provide sufficient power for the higher-power needs of USB storage.

The cheaper USB Adapter that you have since purchased, while capable of providing basic USB data connectivity, cannot support the power needs of unpowered USB Storage devices.

Dec 1, 2020 7:02 PM in response to LotusPilot

I used the same model adapter with iOS 13 version and it worked perfectly fine. The same model adapter is not working for iOS version 14, so I think Apple made some changes in latest iOS version.

I'm not connecting external storage device into iPad, just trying to access my 16GB flash drive. The same drive that I was able to access when I had iOS version 13.

Purpose of OTG adapter is plug and play, I don't know why Apple made it so complicated to do simple things.

Dec 2, 2020 6:48 AM in response to arun137

Insofar as is possible, I have tried to explain the problem that you have - and the means by which you can work around the fundamental limitations of what is possible.

Continued debate about what may (or may not) have worked in the past is pointless, as it doesn’t change the situation in which you find yourself. You have already confirmed that, prior to its loss, you were using the recommended Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter - and that this was working as expected.

Your 16GB Flash Drive is, by definition, an external storage device. It has no power source of its own - and must therefore be powered by the device to which it is connected. iPads that have a Lightning port are very limited in their ability to power Flash Drives and other storage devices - and most require more power than the iPad can natively provide.

Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.