Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 12 Pro Max Keeps Losing Wifi Signal

Hi, had my iPhone for just over a week and annoyingly everyday it keeps losing Wi-Fi signal at random points during the day. Only solution I have found so far is to switch Wi-Fi off in settings and switch it back on. Have reset router several times too. The problem is getting really annoying as I switched from Android after 15 years and have never had this issue with my previous Samsung 10 or Huawei P30 Pro and other android based phones. Anybody found a solution or is it a case of sending the phone back and going back to an android based phone?

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 6:54 AM

I switched off wifi assist it’s in the setting/ cellular scroll all the way to the bottom

it appears to have stopped it from happening

apple put this feature in to switch to a cellar connection if a wifi signal is weak.

I was right in front of the router and it was switching so I just turned it off

331 replies

Nov 9, 2021 4:11 AM in response to BradPeckMusic

Because somewhere around 100 million iPhone 12 Pro Max users do not?

I had two iPhone 12 Pro Max phones for six months each (one was replaced due to an unrelated hardware issue) and neither ever dropped a Wi-Fi connection.

Given that, if Apple's diagnostics showed no issue, it's far more likely to be an issue with a particular router or routers than with the hardware or OS.

Regardless, if you have an issue, your best bet is still to work with Apple:

Dec 5, 2020 8:21 PM in response to johnfromplainview

Thanks for taking interest in what was an issue for me. I agree it is not a router issue and I still believe Apple have an issue with their iPhone 12 Pro Max at least with them dropping wi-fi connections too often to be reasonable. I think I resolved my issue by switching off the private IP address option in my wireless settings, not had a drop out over the last week since doing this (hopefully a permanent solution although I liked the idea of a private IP address for limiting tracking of my personal space!).

Dec 24, 2020 3:50 AM in response to David3142

Just under a month of use of my iPhone 12 Pro Max and sadly I have to report the fix I thought I had found did not last. Still getting random drop outs and having to switch wi-fi on and off. Really think this is an issue that Apple are typically ignoring as not many of us actually returning the phone for refund etc. to force them to listen that they have potentially put out a phone with an inherent problem that needs an urgent fix! Hope to hear from Apple soon that they have come up with a fix for the UK wi-fi market??

Oct 25, 2021 9:29 PM in response to David3142

Howdy! If your having issues with WiFi connections it might be a problem with your WiFi router. Check if any objects are blocking the router from sending a signal. If that didn’t work try to update your iPhone to the latest iOS. You can learn how to update your iOS here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204 If that still doesn’t work then I recommend taking your iPhone to a Apple Store. See ya!

Jan 10, 2022 6:59 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Hey there! Understand that your losing Wi-Fi signal on your iPhone 12 Pro Max and it’s a problem that could happen with anyone! I’m going to tell you some troubleshooting steps that may resolve your issue. First, it may be your Wi-Fi router to far or to many obstacles in front of the router. If your next to your Wi-Fi router and you still have problems please follow these other steps. Second, make sure you have updated to the latest iOS update. To learn how to update your iOS please follow this link now: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204. If that still doesn’t work please let me know. Thanks!

Feb 22, 2022 11:39 AM in response to RipcordX

RipcordX wrote:

I've been using the same router (Orbi) at home since 2017 and never had this problem until I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPad Mini 6. Both devices constantly drop WiFi.

Same goes with all the restaurants I’ve been visiting with WiFi over the last year as well as two friends’ house I go to regularly. Nobody has updated their routers yet the iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPad Mini 6 constantly lose their WiFi connection. My previous devices iPhone X and iPad Mini 4 had absolutely no problems and never dropped a connection like this at any of these same places with the same infrastructure I’m connecting to today.

Apple devices are the problem.

Have you tried contacting Apple Support directly?

Contact - Official Apple Support

You want to blame Apple devices, yet tens of millions of users worldwide are having no such issues.

Jan 25, 2021 2:44 PM in response to soldier11b

So this worked for me (at least for now), your mileage may vary...

1. Powered down phone, power back on (kind of like a pc when random issues arise...)
  2. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings (your phone will restart)
  3. Once phone powers back on, re-enter your wifi credentials.

Again, this worked for me for the past few days since implementing - which is tremendous considering I had to toggle wifi off/on multiple times a day to obtain expected bandwidth speeds. I'll follow up if this fix does no hold. Hope this helps.

Aug 16, 2021 1:08 AM in response to Drumwiz

While I agree with everyone about the issue being still present, the following has helped me to reduce significantly the amount of time it happens:

• Separate the bands of your Wi-Fi network in two separate networks 2.4 and 5 GHz and give to each network a different name and password.
  • Do not join the 2.4ghz network or forget the network if you joined it previously
  • Only join the 5ghz Wi-Fi network.

This reduced for me the amount of time I have to switch the Wi-Fi off/on on my iPhone 12 Pro.

May 10, 2021 10:32 AM in response to Yar10

Here's a screen capture example of the issue.

Connected to my 400mbps WiFi network that is working fine. I try to navigate to a website in Safari, WiFi is on and shows connected, other devices on the network operate perfectly, yet it is completely unresponsive and never loads as if there were no connection.

Quickly toggled WiFi off/on via control center and it magically works right away.

This happens at least once a day and it TOTALLY unacceptable. I have no special settings, no VPN, nothing. It is clearly an issue with the iPhone. Apple NEEDS to respond and address this problem.

Feb 25, 2022 6:17 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

My AT&T service is on the eSIM. While troubleshooting at an AT&T store in Playa del Carmen, I removed the physical SIM which was a pre-paid local plan from a different country. None of the troubleshooting worked and AT&T pointed the finger at Apple. AT&T’s reasoning after almost two hours of troubleshooting, “It’s an Apple device problem because your friend who brought you to our store is using the exact same iPhone as you and his works with AT&T service on the eSIM”.

Coincidentally, when I tapped the “Post” button, my WiFi connection had dropped.

Feb 25, 2022 7:49 PM in response to RipcordX

Your posted image shows Wi-Fi did not drop, unless it reconnected immediately for some reason.

Note that web site issues can also cause the "pink box" error you posted above.

Have you ever seen the in-store Wi-Fi drop on your phone while your iPhone is being diagnosed in an Apple Store?

I assume when they've run full diagnostics on your phone they've seen no issues?

Note as well that not all AT&T plans work in Mexico, notably prepaid plans, though certainly the AT&T store there should have noticed that if that were the issue.

Iphone 12 Pro Max Keeps Losing Wifi Signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.