Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Search doesn’t find installed app; same search in iPadOS works properly.

Interesting issue... I have quite a few apps on my iOS and iPadOS devices, and have begun to habitually use Search to locate and launch my apps. The UNITED AIRLINES app is found without issue on my iPad, but is not found on my iPhone. All devices are running the most updated versions of iOS/iPadOS. I first noticed the issue with iOS/iPadOS 14, but it may have been occurring prior.

I would like to report this, but am not exactly sure to whom I should report the issue... Apple or the App Developer?

IPhone Search Screenshot:

iPad Search Screenshot:

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 5:04 AM

There are a number of opinions, I don’t know what is right:

1. It may be a bug
  2. You may have more than 1000 apps
  3. You may need to check Settings, Siri and search, and see if that app has ‘Show app in search’ toggled on
  4. You need to wait a few days after ios update.
  5. You need to reset the index by temporarily changing Language and Region to another english language and region (UK, Ireland, USA) restart phone and change back. Then go to 4.

I have no idea which works, except I can reproduce the problem with 3.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 5:04 AM in response to RobertHumes

There are a number of opinions, I don’t know what is right:

1. It may be a bug
  2. You may have more than 1000 apps
  3. You may need to check Settings, Siri and search, and see if that app has ‘Show app in search’ toggled on
  4. You need to wait a few days after ios update.
  5. You need to reset the index by temporarily changing Language and Region to another english language and region (UK, Ireland, USA) restart phone and change back. Then go to 4.

I have no idea which works, except I can reproduce the problem with 3.

iOS Search doesn’t find installed app; same search in iPadOS works properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.