Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Atmos Home Theater

My TV and AV receiver do not support Dolby Atmos. Will I experience DA via Homepods connected to AppleTV 4 with my existing TV and receiver?

HomePod, 14

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 7:03 AM

Apple claims that the HomePods (not the HomePod mini) can use the Dolby Atmos signal from Apple TV 4K (not the Apple TV 4th generation or earlier), which is part of what they call home theater audio. Although they only mention Atmos briefly in the intro text.

Set up home theater audio with HomePod and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Dolby Laboratories says that you should need a 5.1.2 sound system or better, to experience the immersive sound of Dolby Atmos. That is, there should be speakers around the listener, including more than one audio direction from above.

While I haven’t listened to HomePods this way, I am a bit skeptical how two speakers in front of you can make you experience sound as from a dome all around you, with specific sounds from specific directions. Room filling sound is easy with a cylindrical speaker, but directions are far more precise with 7 or more speaker locations.

As re-processed sound, the HomePods give more like a virtual Atmos.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 7:03 AM in response to mqcfromlongwood

Apple claims that the HomePods (not the HomePod mini) can use the Dolby Atmos signal from Apple TV 4K (not the Apple TV 4th generation or earlier), which is part of what they call home theater audio. Although they only mention Atmos briefly in the intro text.

Set up home theater audio with HomePod and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Dolby Laboratories says that you should need a 5.1.2 sound system or better, to experience the immersive sound of Dolby Atmos. That is, there should be speakers around the listener, including more than one audio direction from above.

While I haven’t listened to HomePods this way, I am a bit skeptical how two speakers in front of you can make you experience sound as from a dome all around you, with specific sounds from specific directions. Room filling sound is easy with a cylindrical speaker, but directions are far more precise with 7 or more speaker locations.

As re-processed sound, the HomePods give more like a virtual Atmos.

Dec 3, 2020 4:34 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your response. I am pleased with the sound quality of the two Homepods. Not sure whether I experience the full intent of Apple Home Theater concept as there is no indication in my AppleTV4K settings that Dolby Atmos is possible. I can see stereo, Dolby 5.1 but no additional immersive sound option. Assume this is because my TV and Receiver do not offer Dolby Atmos? Apple should refine their offer to underline the need for qualified hardware in addition to the aid of the paired Homepods. Agree?

Dec 3, 2020 4:52 AM in response to mqcfromlongwood

When the Apple TV 4K doesn’t detect a compatible Atmos-capable audio system (AV receiver or soundbar) in the HDMI chain, then the Immersive Audio options isn’t showing. Use of HomePods doesn’t change that. HomePods are network speakers, and can’t be used from an Atmos-capable AV receiver.

Their documentation could be made more clear on what users can expect, I agree on that part. Support documents shouldn’t be so marketing driven as they currently are.

Dolby Atmos Home Theater

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.