Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ability to obtain Dolby Atmos while using iPhone 12 Pro Max, AirPods Pro, and Airplay from phone to Apple TV HD

I have the following:

iPhone 12 Pro Max

AirPods Pro

Apple TV HD

I would like to output Apple TV+ video (1080p) to an old TV via Apple TV HD. Can I somehow set up these devices to obtain Dolby Atmos by Airplaying video from iPhone 12 Pro Max to Apple TV HD while retaining Dolby Atmos audio from iPhone 12 Pro Max? ...or must I upgrade to a new Apple TV 4K (updated model)?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 28, 2021 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 5:24 AM

• With AirPlay, video and audio are streamed to the same device. You can’t have the TV do the video, and a different device (the iPhone) do the audio.
  • With Apple TV 4K, you (currently) can’t get spatial audio through headphones. You’ll need a proper Dolby Atmos audio system, or use a different playback device (iPhone or iPad).
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 5:24 AM in response to onetallsprout

• With AirPlay, video and audio are streamed to the same device. You can’t have the TV do the video, and a different device (the iPhone) do the audio.
  • With Apple TV 4K, you (currently) can’t get spatial audio through headphones. You’ll need a proper Dolby Atmos audio system, or use a different playback device (iPhone or iPad).

Ability to obtain Dolby Atmos while using iPhone 12 Pro Max, AirPods Pro, and Airplay from phone to Apple TV HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.