Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scratch on protective film in allegedly new-in-box iPad Pro

So I am a little OCD so this kind of thing bothers me a lot, and I wanted to see if anyone else had this experience. I just got a new iPad Pro 12.9" and there's an obvious scratch on the protective wrapper that comes with it (https://ibb.co/9pbrWnW). Obviously I spent a lot of money on something that was supposed be new, so I am unhappy.

Has anyone else seen this? What could be the cause? Is there a way to make sure it wasn't refurbished? I bought it from Amazon as allegedly new but frankly I don't always trust Amazon on this issue.

As best I can tell there doesn't seem to be any damage to the underlying screen, but I haven't looked too carefully because my screen protector doesn't come for a few days and I want to keep the wrapper on.

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 10:54 AM

andrewc2005 wrote:
I was just wondering if there was any innocent excuse for having the scratch on the film.

Well, as folks here work neither for Apple nor Amazon (we are all volunteers), that going to be hard to answer. I've not seen the iPad pack line but I've worked with packaging systems in another industry and most use conveyer systems. There are plenty of spots in most of those where a product could scuff against something if out of position. So I'm guessing.

The fact that the case is not damaged is good news. If you run into setup issues, then that throws up a flag. If setup with your Apple ID is trouble-free, all should be fine.

Thanks for the followup.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 10:54 AM in response to andrewc2005

andrewc2005 wrote:
I was just wondering if there was any innocent excuse for having the scratch on the film.

Well, as folks here work neither for Apple nor Amazon (we are all volunteers), that going to be hard to answer. I've not seen the iPad pack line but I've worked with packaging systems in another industry and most use conveyer systems. There are plenty of spots in most of those where a product could scuff against something if out of position. So I'm guessing.

The fact that the case is not damaged is good news. If you run into setup issues, then that throws up a flag. If setup with your Apple ID is trouble-free, all should be fine.

Thanks for the followup.

Dec 2, 2020 10:17 AM in response to andrewc2005

Welcome Andrew!

From my limited viewpoint as another end user, I see a protective cover that did its job. However,

I bought it from Amazon as allegedly new but frankly I don't always trust Amazon on this issue.

As this is a concern for you, start the discussion with Amazon ASAP.

IMHO, it is better to wait on a product shipped directly from Apple than to go through any reseller. Amazon sells some product directly from their stock, but also from "partners," about whom we know little.

All Apple products are seeing unprecedented demand, and that opens the door to shenanigans from unscrupulous people anxious to bilk on those who cannot wait an extra week or three for Apple to ship. Non-Apple "refurbs," improperly prepared pre-owned devices, and even counterfeit products have found a fertile garden to thrive. We see too many issues with Apple devices bought from even big non-Apple resellers.

So I am a little OCD...

Well, I call that "caution." That's OK. I removed most of my similar concerns when we decided that all our Apple tech would come straight from Apple. Savings from non-Apple sources are too small to make a difference to our finances.

Dec 2, 2020 10:23 AM in response to Allan Jones

I appreciate the input! I did contact Amazon and they said it was new, though I'm guessing the support person just looked at the order. The iPad was sold by Amazon itself rather than a third party, and I would have preferred to buy from Apple but this was through Amazon gift cards so that wasn't an option, unfortunately. I was just wondering if there was any innocent excuse for having the scratch on the film.

scratch on protective film in allegedly new-in-box iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.