Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 2020 not recognising ethernet cable

I am unable to connect my MacBook Air to the internet using ethernet connection, I was able to do this on my intel model, but not this new M1 model. it is the same two hubs which worked on my old MacBook but not this one. I have tried to configure the IPv4 using DHCP with Manual Address, and Manually, they show 'connected' on the left hand tab, but it still doesn't let me connect to the internet.

Any ideas? Is this an hardware issue, or Big Sur?

Anyone else having this issue?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 10:54 AM

FWIW, I have been using a Belkin Multimedia USB-C Hub from the first

day I have my M1 MacBook Air (last week of November 2020) and the

ethernet has functioned flawlessly from day 1. That has been with

Big Sur 11.0 through 11.2.

If it shows the "green" connected light in network preferences, select the

advanced setting an under TCP/IP click "Renew DHCP lease".

The other possibility, delete the ethernet interface in Network preferences

and then re-add it. Sometimes config files simply get messed up.

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 10:54 AM in response to HaySingh

FWIW, I have been using a Belkin Multimedia USB-C Hub from the first

day I have my M1 MacBook Air (last week of November 2020) and the

ethernet has functioned flawlessly from day 1. That has been with

Big Sur 11.0 through 11.2.

If it shows the "green" connected light in network preferences, select the

advanced setting an under TCP/IP click "Renew DHCP lease".

The other possibility, delete the ethernet interface in Network preferences

and then re-add it. Sometimes config files simply get messed up.

Dec 8, 2020 6:08 PM in response to HaySingh

Hello HaySingh,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with connecting to the internet via Ethernet. We are happy to share information that may help.

Try starting up in safe mode. Then, follow the steps in this article, depending whether or not the issue occurs while in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

You may also want to take a look at the information here: Identify the ports on your Mac.

Take care.

Apr 27, 2021 4:56 PM in response to sertaconal

Hello,

I solved my issue with the ugreen type C ethernet 1gbits adapter.

Turns out the issue wasn't the M1 but big sur lack of driver.

Check if your device has the following ethernet chipset : AX88179

If yes, download the driver here :

https://www.asix.com.tw/en/product/USBEthernet/Super-Speed_USB_Ethernet/AX88179

And follow the installation process provided with the .txt file:

"This is a beta driver.

The following steps are necessary to enable Develop mode.

1. Disable SIP in Recovery mode then reboot.

2. Enable System extension develop mode. Open the Terminal and issue the following command.

$ systemextensionsctl developer on"

You'll need also :

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/disabling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection

Apr 9, 2021 6:43 AM in response to HaySingh

Same issue here, using Macbook Air M1 with Anker Docking Station, PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock for USB-C

I've tried various combination of fixes including:

• delete network entry
  • Use DHCP
  • Use manual settings
  • Switch off and power up

No joy.

Apple do you have no shame? This issue is clearly real and has been going on for a long time!

Dec 29, 2020 5:06 AM in response to melissa_m77

I have just setup a new MacBook Air M1, which does not recognise Ethernet adapter. I have a Kensington usb c mini hub, the HDMI, and usb A ports work fine. Did not have this problem with my 2012 MacBook Pro which recognised Ethernet cable direct from my router. Seems others in community also experiencing same problem. Is a bug fix on its way, meantime restricted to WiFi connection only.

Feb 8, 2021 6:27 AM in response to tdif9

I too just bought MacBook Air M1and it won’t connect to Ethernet via hub that works for everything else. The most important feature that I was assured would work for me. So disappointed after spending hours with ISP trying every possible router configuration to no avail. I will probably return it and get something else.

Feb 8, 2021 6:43 AM in response to lianne165

I posted the Ethernet problem back on 29th December, shortly after receiving my new MacBook Air M1. I've now updated the OS to Big Sur 11.2 and this bug has not been resolved or sorted..... very poor show by Apple... with only two USB-C ports we all have to connect some sort of hub for USB-A, HDMI or indeed ethernet direct connection to my fibre to get maximum broadband speed..... APPLE PLEASE SORT THIS OUT, surely you are listening to the issues from your customers... or at least advise that a fix will be on the way..... just relying saying try starting up in safe mode is not acceptable and we are not all IT wizards and able to configure any fancy workarounds or interim solutions..... meantime it is back to WIFI only for me.... ehhhhh...

Feb 9, 2021 3:35 AM in response to HaySingh

Same issue using Satechi Type-C Multi-Port Adapter 4K with Ethernet. Each time after rebooting my MacBook the ethernet connection doesn't work. In Network Configuration it appears as 'connected' though. Ping to the router IP shows timeouts. "Renew DHCP lease" doesn't help. The only workaround is to disconnect hub's USB-C cable from MacBook and connect it again (or never switch off MacBook completely). Awful. Hope this will be fixed in the next MacOS updates.

Feb 24, 2021 11:21 PM in response to alaird61

I have the same issue with UGREEN 50852. In system report I have seen the extension is installed but is not loaded.

Details of extension said:

AX88179_178A:

Version: 2.0.0

ID packed: com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a

Verified: Yes

Loaded: No

Information: ASIX AX88179/178A USB3.0/2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver

Type: Intel

Architecture: x86_64

64 bit (Intel): Yes

Path: /Library/Extensions/AX88179_178A.kext

Version kext: 2.0.0

Loading Available: Yes

Dependencies: Solved

Signed: Developer ID Application: ASIX ELECTRONICS CORPORATION (5RHFAZ9D4P), Developer ID Certification Authority, Appe Root CA

* I translated this info from russian, so some mistakes can happens.

Macbook Air M1 2020 not recognising ethernet cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.