Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Won't Wake External Monitor

MacBook Pro w/ M1 Chip.

ViewSonic VX2770Smh

My external HDMI monitor was connect successfully the first time. Now, after the computer's lid was closed and it went to sleep last night, the external monitor fails to connect. Nothing I've tried has displayed anything on the monitor other than "No signal detected". I've turned it on/off, have disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable. Nothing.

This is my first MacBook Pro. So maybe I'm missing something basic. But I can't figure it out.

Any hints or tips?

TIA.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 11:10 AM

I have the same problem. There is nothing wrong with your display - I am seeing comments relating to this for all M1 based computers. My Macbook Pro works fine with my display.

The one thing that works almost every time is:

unplugging the display, shutting down the mac, restarting the mac, logging in, and then finally, plugging in the display.

Far from ideal. Eagerly watching for a software update that I hope fixes this.

Similar questions

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 11:10 AM in response to JBHaber

I have the same problem. There is nothing wrong with your display - I am seeing comments relating to this for all M1 based computers. My Macbook Pro works fine with my display.

The one thing that works almost every time is:

unplugging the display, shutting down the mac, restarting the mac, logging in, and then finally, plugging in the display.

Far from ideal. Eagerly watching for a software update that I hope fixes this.

Dec 6, 2020 3:32 PM in response to JBHaber

I have a no-brand 5K monitor that uses a DisplayPort 1.4 connector to receive 5K signal from the Mac, using a USB3-to-DP1.4 cable (capable of up to 8K at 30Hz or 5K at 60Hz). It works with all Intel-based 2019 and 2020 Macs that use the Titan Ridge TB3 controller and discrete graphics adapters. It also works with the 2020 10th generation Intel CPU Macs (MacBook Pro and MacBook Air).

This display is not detected by the M1 MacBook Air as though it’s not even connected. My 2020 10th generation Intel 13” MacBook Pro detects this display and sends a 5K video signal to it.

This display also has a USB3 input that uses USB3 alternate mode with DP1.2 (4K resolution). Again, the M1 MacBook Air doesn’t even detect the monitor when connected to the monitor’s USB3 port via a Thunderbolt3 cable (TB3 cable). The Intel-based 2020 MacBook Pro can detect the same monitor when connected to its USB3 port via the same TB3 cable and can send 4K signal to it.

The only way I can connect to this display from the M1 MacBook is via this display’s HDMI port, using a USB3-to-HDMI adapter made by HyperDrive and an HDMI cable. This way the M1 MacBook Air can detect the monitor, but the signal is 4K only (of course), and the connection from the M1 MacBook Air to the monitor is flaky. After the M1 MacBook Air goes to sleep and the monitor goes on standby, it takes a while for the monitor to wake up. It’s basically almost unusable.

I tested the M1 MacBook Air with a 27”Apple Cinema Display (non-Thunderbolt version), and that display came up instantaneously when I connected the M1 MacBook Air to it via the same Hyperdrive USB3 adapter (it supports both HDMI and mDP connectors). I haven’t tried the M1 MacBook Air with a 27” Thunderbolt Cinema Display (which I also have), but I suspect it will work just fine with it.

From my tests tonight, it appears that the M1 Macs have an issue with USB3 alternate mode using DP1.2 and DP1.4 in that such external monitors utilizing these modes of connecting to the M1 Macs are not detected at all.

Obviously, the M1 Macs are also having some compatibility issues with HDMI monitors in that the monitors take a long time to wake up.

I filed a trouble ticket with Apple on this issue today, and it was sent to Engineering. I should hear something from them by January 9.

Dec 3, 2020 9:13 AM in response to JBHaber

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display, such as the built-in)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Modern Displays with multiple ports are sometimes busy scanning the other ports, looking for an input, and miss the query from the Mac. They need to pay attention to the port you are actually using, or they will miss the query.

Some displays have On-Screen Display settings that can be used to tell the display a computer is attached on a certain port, or a certain port should be highest priority. Changing those may make your display more responsive.

Some displays include their own private "sleep" settings for the display alone. This can allow the display to enter its own sleep mode, on top of the Mac's not sending it data. A display that is sleeping on its own cannot respond to the Mac's query, and will stay dark.

Jan 2, 2021 2:38 AM in response to nheletz

Jup same problem here with my MacBook Air m1 and a Samsung 4k monitor U28E570 connected with a doc from Anker.

After sleep the monitor is not waking up most of the time and the methode mentioned bij zuluimpi is working most of te time, sometimes a double in/out from the usb-c the connector is required.

Never had connection troubles before (ps4, MacBook Pro 2012, iMac using thunderbolt) and plenty other devices.

I have order an original Apple USB-C HDMI Digital AV Multiport Adapter (latest model) and hope for the best.

I hoop apple wil fix this soon because it's very annoying.

Do i have to report this issue somewhere ?

Jan 2, 2021 6:48 AM in response to Merlin1201

Yes, of course. You should open a case with Apple on this.

Update on my case: after a month of the car being open, Apple sent me with my monitor to the local Apple Store, which confirmed that the monitor worked with Intel Macs but doesn’t work with M1 Macs via the monitor’s DP port. The Apple Store documented it, and ... I haven’t heard back from Apple since then. Am I surprised? In the past 13 years of using Macs, I’ve had at least a dozen issues being sent to Apple Engineering, and NONE of them got resolved.

Jan 2, 2021 6:58 AM in response to sirozha

Strange you haven't hear about apple.

Today I have try this MacBook with the iiyama game-master monitor and everything works fine.

So my guess is that this problem is not with all monitor's just some models having a problem re connection after sleep.

Another thing is that the Anker doc is also involved and I hope that the apple multiport from apple is doing the trick then my problems are solved, if not have to wait for an apple solution.

Also read that the mini Mac and de MacBook Pro m1 haven the same issues on some monitor's

Jan 7, 2021 10:42 AM in response to JBHaber

My problem and its weird resolution -- using CalDigit box with HDMI to CalDigit Display port active adapter. Worked the first day. Wouldn't work the second day (not picking it up on System Preferences - Display). Searched google. Suggested I put MacBook Pro into Sleep mode for 10 seconds (with monitor on). Opened computer back up and display is now working. Say what?? Really.

Biggest concern is this fix won't work every time.

Jan 7, 2021 2:49 PM in response to sirozha

I am very frustrated with Apple and this computer. I am having the same probelm with the monitor not recognized and was one of the first to report it here several weeks ago.

At the same time called Apple Support and asked for a replacement. The Apple Support person was absolutely dismal - told me the return period has expired even though Apple stated on it's website it would accept returns and replacements until January. I told what he said was not true at all and pointed him to the apple website. Then he 'remembered' didn't apologize at all said I'll receive a replacement.

I told him that I need to receive the replacement before returning this one because I use the computer for work.

He said sure it won't be a problem.

Sure... the order I received said the replacement would ship by January 7th so I just checked... Not shipped - On Hold!

Why? replacement no received

Apple of course has not fixed the problem with the second monitor not being recognized.

I really don't appreciate this. In addition to the normal arrogant attitude they leave defects and don't stand by their word.

Last time I had to write a negative review about apple due to it's unfair pricing policy they gave me **** when posting a new app in the app store. Well, I will now write a letter to the CA reps.

Feb 9, 2021 7:47 PM in response to hpoole13

They told me they knew there was a problem with HDMI connections after telling me there were no issues. I really had to press them to admit. Of course, I didn’t speak directly with engineering, so I had to go via the Senior advisor, who was a total jerk.

My HDMI connection works, but it takes connecting and disconnecting the monitor after the Mac goes to sleep. After I re-connect the monitor, it takes another minute for the Mac to display to the external display with me pounding on the spacebar repeatedly.

However, my goal is for this monitor to be connected via its DP1.4 port so that I can send 5K to the monitor. The M1 MacBook Air doesn’t detect the monitor via the DP1.4 port at all, whereas the 2020 Intel-based (10th generation) MacBook Pro has absolutely no issues displaying 5K to this monitor via the monitor’s DP1.4 connector.

[Edited by Moderator]

Feb 9, 2021 11:43 PM in response to rozhasi

Wow, when they say that Big Tech censors free speech, they are not lying. I can’t believe I got moderated here fir quoting what Apple engineering wrote in the trouble ticket that I opened on this issue. In all my decades of using Apple products and being an Apple shareholder, I’ve never seen anything like that. Scary stuff.

Feb 10, 2021 9:40 AM in response to JBHaber

We have seen a case recently where a DisplayPort display worked fine at 60 Hz when its internal spec was set for DisplayPort 1.2, but when its internal display settings (in the display itself) were changed to DisplayPort 1.4 (which allows data compression) the display dropped back to supporting only 30 Hz refresh rate.

My guess is that it could not quite keep up with data decompression at the higher resolution.

Feb 10, 2021 9:55 AM in response to rozhasi

The specs for DisplayPort 1.3 and later ALLOW FOR for the use of data compression.

Whether it is actually in use is not the point. Some Display-makers took it very literally and dropped their supported resolutions when it was POSSIBLE they might see compressed data (specifically the need for the display to also do high-speed data decompression at speed for a high-resolution display).

M1 Won't Wake External Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.