Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2015 Big Sur and AirPlay to Apple TV 4th Gen

Since the update to Big Sur on my MacBook Pro 2015, I cannot airplay to my Apple TV 4th gen. Apple TV is showing in the new notifications area but after selecting it, nothing happens. I just get a pop up few moments later saying couldn't connect.

iPhone 11 Pro can AirPlay no problem.

All devices are up to date, bluetooth is on etc.

If I go to Settings > Displays. Then select AirPlay Display and select my Apple TV, it just reverts back to off.

Show mirroring options is ticked but nothing is appearing in notifications bar at top. It did prior to the OS update.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 11:55 AM

4 replies

Dec 9, 2020 3:44 PM in response to Dimmyv

Hello Dimmyv,

It sounds like you aren't able to AirPlay from your Mac to your Apple TV. Do you have other devices that you can use to connect to Apple TV? Perhaps an iOS device that you can try?

Also, have you taken a look at your Wi-Fi connection to ensure that the signal is strong? Also take a look at this article that may help:

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device's screen

Regards.

Dec 9, 2020 6:53 PM in response to ryane77

Hi,

my original post does say I used another device. iPhone 11 Pro works fine to mirror to Apple TV.

Apple TV is connected vi Ethernet and WiFi is strong. If anything it’s overkill for 800sqft apartment 1 routers and most of my hardware is connected by Ethernet. Home network isn’t the issue.

I’ve seen the guides. I think it’s an error with Big Sur. Waiting for Apple to fix.

Dec 14, 2020 2:09 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you Moon, I believe this a new issue since the update as I've read elsewhere over the internet and haven't found a resolution.

There an update today but V11.1 of Big Sur however this hasn't not fixed the issue.

The only thing that I noticed was that when I go to control centre and click screen mirroring the icon appears in the bar the top but nothing happens. Again iPhone 11Pro works fine screen mirroring to Apple TV 4th gen.

I tired again by turning off bluetooth and turning on again and AirPlay glitched and I saw my screen appear. However this was temporary and when I turned off and tried again noting worked. Got message "could not connect"

Its definately an issue with the OS and not my MacBook Pro. The screen mirroring option should just appear at the top but that doesn't even work.

MacBook Pro 2015 Big Sur and AirPlay to Apple TV 4th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.