Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - Unable to remove login items

I recently upgraded to Big Sur from Catalina. Since upgrading, I've had a few login items in system preferences that I no longer use. I have tried many times to delete them from Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items. They delete OK, but when I reboot they are back again. I have tried deleting the /Library/Preferences/Loginwindow.plist and ~/Library/Preferences/Loginwindow.plist, but every time I reboot they re-appear with the same list of login items.

Any suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 2:01 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 9, 2020 4:12 PM in response to Scrutch2001

Hi there Scrutch2001,

We understand that login items that you delete are reappearing after you restart your Mac. We’d like to help however we can. 

To confirm, are you using the steps here to remove the login items? 

Open items automatically when you log in on Mac

If so, can you provide more details on the exact login items that reappear after restarting? Also, is there any kind of mobile device management (MDM) on this Mac?

Login Items MDM payload settings for Apple devices

Cheers!

Dec 9, 2020 4:16 PM in response to raina_b22

Yes, I followed all the steps to remove the login items as suggested above. I did it multiple times, to no avail. The items I couldn't remove were Parallels Toolbox, Divvy, Crossover CD manager, Sharemouse, and a link to a shared folder on another mac on my network.

No, computer was no under mobile device management.

In the end, I ended up erasing the hard drive, reinstalling Big Sur, and re-installing the apps individually instead of restoring apps, documents, and settings from my Time Machine Backup.

Thanks anyway for your assistance!

Big Sur - Unable to remove login items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.