Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - refused free replacement

I am having my Macbook Pro since late November 2016. I really love this machine and I never had any issues except the small white backliights visible at the bottom of the screen. I firstly noticed those ones somewhere in mid 2018 and this is when I found out that in order to fix it I need to change the whole display. Unfortunately there was still no any Display service program at that time, so I just decided to continue sadly using my mac and try to ignore the backlight. All good until two months ago, when my screen went totally black. I have tried all the restarts and resets, but It looked like the display was dead. Buying a new one was not a option. so I just gave up. I was so nicely surprised few days later when i saw Apple finally put a program for replacement of displays with similar issue as mine. In my first opportunity I went to check with the Authorised Service and they confirm I qualify for the program. My happiness didn`t last long. Just few hours later I got another call, telling me I don`t qualify, because the offer is valid for four years after the first purchase and mine is four years and one week. The whole story is For One week!! In times of pandemic.

No any exemption!! This was the only answer I got when explaining my situation and asking if something can be done.

I know this is not the exact place for this post, but I am really upset and disappointed, so I wanted to share it with the community.

I am long time with Apple and I know they care, so I just don`t believe nothing can be done in this situation. I hope someone here will be able to help me use this service program and have my lovely mac fixed.. or if not, at least explain me why is this one week so crucial (having in mind the problem stated 2.5 years ago)

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 9:18 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 4, 2020 4:08 AM in response to pepone2001

pepone2001 wrote:

I am having my Macbook Pro since late November 2016. I really love this machine and I never had any issues except the small white backliights visible at the bottom of the screen. I firstly noticed those ones somewhere in mid 2018 and this is when I found out that in order to fix it I need to change the whole display. Unfortunately there was still no any Display service program at that time, so I just decided to continue sadly using my mac and try to ignore the backlight. All good until two months ago, when my screen went totally black. I have tried all the restarts and resets, but It looked like the display was dead. Buying a new one was not a option. so I just gave up. I was so nicely surprised few days later when i saw Apple finally put a program for replacement of displays with similar issue as mine. In my first opportunity I went to check with the Authorised Service and they confirm I qualify for the program. My happiness didn`t last long. Just few hours later I got another call, telling me I don`t qualify, because the offer is valid for four years after the first purchase and mine is four years and one week. The whole story is For One week!! In times of pandemic.
No any exemption!! This was the only answer I got when explaining my situation and asking if something can be done.
I know this is not the exact place for this post, but I am really upset and disappointed, so I wanted to share it with the community.
I am long time with Apple and I know they care, so I just don`t believe nothing can be done in this situation. I hope someone here will be able to help me use this service program and have my lovely mac fixed.. or if not, at least explain me why is this one week so crucial (having in mind the problem stated 2.5 years ago)

If you do not qualify then you are on your own—

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

There are a caveats I see:

The program covers eligible MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

—sold between October 2016 and February 2018

—MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

—MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

—Note: No other Mac notebook models are part of this program.

I have no idea your details, but this user to user support forum is not the place to drill down on your particular issue.

You can also Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Dec 4, 2020 5:36 PM in response to pepone2001

I agree with @leroydouglas that you should contact Apple directly. Years ago Apple would intervene on your behalf and provide you with a Customer Satisfaction Code that an AASP could use to repair the laptop for free, but I haven't seen any reports of Apple actually doing this any more over the last few years (if they are still doing this it is extremely rare).

You should also check out any local consumer protection laws if Apple doesn't provide you with a repair exception considering the circumstances.

I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - refused free replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.