Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone number is linked to an old account

I'm trying to help my father-in-law with his Apple ID account. His old iPhone 4 somehow got locked, but he has no idea what his old Apple ID details are. I have got him a new SIM card and put it into an old iPhone 5 I had to get him going and set up a new apple ID for him, so far so good. He doesn't use email and hardly uses the Internet.

However his phone number is linked to the old account and we have no access to it (we are not even sure the Apple ID we think we know is correct) .

Is there any way to unlink his phone number from the old account and add to the new one ?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 4:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 5:40 AM

Before you contact Apple Support about that, try to recover the Apple ID and password, as shown in these articles:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

You can add trusted phone numbers for the new Apple ID by logging into the Apple ID website:

Manage and use your Apple ID - Apple Support

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 5:40 AM in response to dugggie

Before you contact Apple Support about that, try to recover the Apple ID and password, as shown in these articles:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

You can add trusted phone numbers for the new Apple ID by logging into the Apple ID website:

Manage and use your Apple ID - Apple Support

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Phone number is linked to an old account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.