Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t detect internal OWCSSD on early Mac Pro

The internal ssd on my early Mac Pro does not appear in Disk Utilities or on my desktop. How do I find and mount this ssd so I can restart in it?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 10:46 AM

Thank you so much for your response. The OWCSSD was successfully installed several years ago and I have mostly been using it rather than the original Mac hard drive (OWCSSD has an upgraded OS which supports more software and browsers than the OS 10.6.8 in the original drive). I encountered this problem when I decided to restart using the 10.6.8 hard drive my Mac on. It wouldn’t recognize my keyboard and “lost” the second internal drive. Maybe it was jealous that I was using the other drive so much. 🤪

The good news is that I repaired the permissions and verified the original OS 10.6.8 Mac hard drive. And then I did a complete shutdown instead of a restart. When I turned it on again after about 60 seconds, presto change-o, the internal OWCSSD reappeared on the desktop. I then verified/repaired the OWCSSD and performed another permissions repair on the original OS 10.6.8 Mac hard drive. Backed all up with Time Machine (located in an external drive). 😄

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you so much for your response. The OWCSSD was successfully installed several years ago and I have mostly been using it rather than the original Mac hard drive (OWCSSD has an upgraded OS which supports more software and browsers than the OS 10.6.8 in the original drive). I encountered this problem when I decided to restart using the 10.6.8 hard drive my Mac on. It wouldn’t recognize my keyboard and “lost” the second internal drive. Maybe it was jealous that I was using the other drive so much. 🤪

The good news is that I repaired the permissions and verified the original OS 10.6.8 Mac hard drive. And then I did a complete shutdown instead of a restart. When I turned it on again after about 60 seconds, presto change-o, the internal OWCSSD reappeared on the desktop. I then verified/repaired the OWCSSD and performed another permissions repair on the original OS 10.6.8 Mac hard drive. Backed all up with Time Machine (located in an external drive). 😄

Dec 4, 2020 9:42 AM in response to Shelley Schreiber

If you have attempted to plug it into a drive bay, any mis-alignment of the connector will fail to seat, and the drive can not be seen.

I suggest you remove all drives in bays, turn the machine on its side, and use a bright light to examine the seating of the drive on the connector in the drive bay.

if this is the 2006-2008 style Mac Pro, the blue sleds sold by OWC have the holes set up for the later 2009-2012 models, and they do not provide proper distances/clearances for the earlier models.

Can’t detect internal OWCSSD on early Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.