Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 12 mini: Passcode screen shows momentarily, then returns to lock screen

new iphone 12 mini: immediately after initial op-sys update, phone is in 'Hello'/lock mode. Swiping screen brings up Passcode screen momentarily (0.1 - 0.2 sec) then immediately returns to hello/lock screen. Did not act this way before op-sys update. Re-booting doesn't help. plugging in/out power doesn't help. grounding work arounds don't help. Plugging into PC doesn't help (can't get past lock screen). Note: touch seems fine: the (i) link/button on the 'hello' screen works fine as does the 'regulatory' link/button on the info page.

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 10:10 AM

Fixed after talking to support, using recovery mode & iTunes to update & recover old phone data. Evidently doing the quick-start from my old 5s then updating exposed some type of bug.

1. managed to get phone turned off (vol up, vol down, rt btn hold - would flash off button for about 0.5 sec. managed to slide it during this time).
  2. After severeral tries, got to recovery mode (as per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263) to connect to iTunes.
  3. Used iTunes to download iOS 14.2.1 (12 hrs via slow wifi)
  4. through recovery mode again to connect iTunes again
  5. installed iOS 14.2.1 via iTunes
  6. loaded/recovered data from backup of old phone (5s) from a couple days ago.
  7. re-booted phone
  8. Everything works now!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 10:10 AM in response to Ochotona

Fixed after talking to support, using recovery mode & iTunes to update & recover old phone data. Evidently doing the quick-start from my old 5s then updating exposed some type of bug.

1. managed to get phone turned off (vol up, vol down, rt btn hold - would flash off button for about 0.5 sec. managed to slide it during this time).
  2. After severeral tries, got to recovery mode (as per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263) to connect to iTunes.
  3. Used iTunes to download iOS 14.2.1 (12 hrs via slow wifi)
  4. through recovery mode again to connect iTunes again
  5. installed iOS 14.2.1 via iTunes
  6. loaded/recovered data from backup of old phone (5s) from a couple days ago.
  7. re-booted phone
  8. Everything works now!

Dec 5, 2020 11:56 PM in response to Ochotona

If you have either dropped the device accidentally or exposed it to liquid or used it beyond acceptable temperature limits then…

Take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support:

Find Locations - Location Selector - Apple

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Get a Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Contact Genius Bar.

Manage Reservations - My Reservations - Apple

iphone 12 mini: Passcode screen shows momentarily, then returns to lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.