Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After downloading Big Sur, open programs become repeatedly inactive during use

I recently downloaded Big Sur on my MacBook Air (2018). Now when I'm in the middle of using any program (Safari, Word, Mail, ZOOM, etc.), it becomes "inactive". I don't know how else to describe it. For example, I've been typing this question here in Safari and 12 times so far I've had to re-click in this text box to finish describing my problem. I'll be typing and suddenly the program isn't accepting my typing anymore. The menu bar shows I'm still in that program, but I have to re-click the box/document to continue working. It's annoying and VERY time-consuming. It's only started since downloading Big Sur. I've even slowed my typing down to make sure I'm not hitting another key. I'm not sure if it is an update problem, or something worse! Has anyone else experienced these types of problems? Any help would be appreciated!!

MacBook

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 3:33 PM

lorie57 Said:

"After downloading Big Sur, open programs become repeatedly inactive during use"

-------

Create a New User:

See what happens when you create a new Administrator User? Do you still get this error? If so, then it is a misconfiguration in the current user. If not, then you may need to reset something.

Safe Mode:

Boo into Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds once logged in, shutdown the Mac, and then log in as normal. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(caches) are fixed. So, see if that fixes this. To boot into Safe Mode, hold down the shift key upon boot.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 3:33 PM in response to lorie57

lorie57 Said:

"After downloading Big Sur, open programs become repeatedly inactive during use"

-------

Create a New User:

See what happens when you create a new Administrator User? Do you still get this error? If so, then it is a misconfiguration in the current user. If not, then you may need to reset something.

Safe Mode:

Boo into Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds once logged in, shutdown the Mac, and then log in as normal. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(caches) are fixed. So, see if that fixes this. To boot into Safe Mode, hold down the shift key upon boot.

Dec 6, 2020 3:15 PM in response to lorie57

You might be surprised how light a brush the heel of your hand has to make on the trackpad to move the cursor to another part of the screen. You should at least give it a try to see if it helps. I've turned it off on my Macbook Air and it's made a world of difference.

It's highly unlikely that it's a problem with Big Sur.

After downloading Big Sur, open programs become repeatedly inactive during use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.