Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse not responding, Trash icon grayed out

After updating to Big Sur, I'm experiencing perplexing and very frustrating issues.

Too often my mouse clicks do nothing! Can't open or highlight anything, etc., and this happens in the Finder, not in my browser.

Also, when I try to highlight and then trash a file, sometimes the Trash icon, is not functional!

Often, when I click on a file to open it, it will only open the title, not open the file! I have to click on something else, then try and come back to it, and try again.

Why are basic functions as these not working properly, in the most up-to-date OS?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 1:45 PM

Etrecheck

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a Trusted Developer and well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2021 1:45 PM in response to Saxman

Etrecheck

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a Trusted Developer and well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Aug 13, 2021 1:01 PM in response to Saxman

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the dropdown windows, access on the top level toolbar, will sometimes only show if I keep my mouse on it, for if I just click the folder, it opens and closes right up!! This is so aggravating, that even the simplest, most basic functions aren't working right, why is this happening?

Aug 22, 2021 2:48 PM in response to PRP_53

I've got etrecheck, and in last using it, it found the only major issue is "heavy CPU usage", and minor ones being, again "heavy CPU usage" (and this is without using any high memory required media-oriented apps) by some apps, and some apps that "may not work in the future". I do have a few of the "useless apps" you mention, however, your opinion is not one shared by a great many tech people. They don't have 100% faith in Apple's OS to secure our machines from all interference from hackers, viruses, etc. I would think if any of these 3rd party optimizers or anti-virus scanners were that detrimental to our machines, that this would be a more widespread belief, and everyone would be on the same page, in terms of warning users to not use any of them. I have Memory Clean 3, and it seems to effectively, and quickly, free up a good bit of RAM, when things begin slowing down. And Onyx has been used for many years to help clear caches, without anything going awry, etc.

If removing these programs were the magic bullet to solving all the issues people have with their Macs, why wouldn't everyone just do it? I've been hearing the same dire warnings for many years, no matter what OS was current at the time, yet they still live on, so one perspective on this can't be right, unless the other is wrong. Why would this warning not be more widespread, if these apps are so very disruptive to the functioning of the OS?

Also, as to un-installers, I'm not sure what else to use, if the developers don't offer one for their apps, and I'm not sure we can count on simply trashing an app, to remove all it's files associated with it.

I'm honestly wondering, since this recommendation has been a common one on this site, but not so much on any of the many other forums & techie websites.

Aug 22, 2021 3:42 PM in response to Saxman

The original question - user wrote " Mouse not responding, Trash icon grayed out" To which, possible guidance and or assistance was offer to trouble shoot that Specific issue. It was done in the form of using an Application from a Trusted and Respected Contributor application and done in good faith. Still have not seen any mention of this is the above response.

Thank you for taking the time to craft and very well written response on an Off Topic opinion about something else other than the original issue. Although well crafted, composed and on the surface convincing - if one has a Technical Issue affecting this computer or any computer under your direct control - suggest opening another Question to the ASC Forums for Technical Assistance or guidance.

Mouse not responding, Trash icon grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.