Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Native Big Sur GUI Not Responding in Some Instances

I've recently updated to Mac OS Big Sur and I noticed a few problems after the update.

1) Firstly, in all programs that utilize a modal finder to select a file for upload or to download (i.e. program calls NSOpenPanel), the modal doesn't seem to respond to clicks. I can't click "Cancel" in the modal finder, but I can select it in my Mac's touch bar and the action is received.

2) Secondly, when I open the System Preferences window, I can click any option I'd like. Afterwards, the rest of the window for that option doesn't seem like it is responding. For example, if I click "Printers & Scanners" in my System Preferences, the window doesn't seem to respond to clicks. I can, however, click any button at the top bar and the action happens.

I think these events are both related. How do I fix this?

I've already tried to force quit Finder and restarting my mac but it doesn't work as the issue keeps popping up. When I quit Finder, it doesn't do anything. When I restart my Mac, the issue disappears temporarily and then reappears after using my computer for a bit.

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 8:50 PM

Boot into Safe Mode and see if it happens in Safe Mode, then reboot normally and see if it still happens.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

That is the Open File dialog window. It’s not the Finder, but it does share similar features.

Similar questions

1 reply

Native Big Sur GUI Not Responding in Some Instances

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.