Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini M1 2020 doesn't work with wired Apple A1243 keyboard

Why Apple wired keyboard A1243 doesn't work with my new MacMini M1?

I can't even go through the initial computer setup.

I tried to plug it into all the available USB connectors and it was unsuccessful.

This keyboard works great with MacMini 2012 but new MacMini M1 doesn't recognize it.

Apple, whats going on with your new products?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:30 PM

I can confirm this.

Something about the USB ports on the new Mac does not provide power to the keyboard, neither the USB-A or USB-C ports work with this keyboard.

I was able to get it to work by connecting it to a powered USB hub (AKA a hub that has an AC adapter that you plug into a wall). An unpowered hub did not work.

The downsides to this approach are:

1. Extra stuff to buy
  2. Extra space to take up and wires/clutter
  3. Extra power use
  4. Keyboard will not wake up Mac from sleep, only mouse/trackpad will

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 5:30 PM in response to Iron_Butterfly

I can confirm this.

Something about the USB ports on the new Mac does not provide power to the keyboard, neither the USB-A or USB-C ports work with this keyboard.

I was able to get it to work by connecting it to a powered USB hub (AKA a hub that has an AC adapter that you plug into a wall). An unpowered hub did not work.

The downsides to this approach are:

1. Extra stuff to buy
  2. Extra space to take up and wires/clutter
  3. Extra power use
  4. Keyboard will not wake up Mac from sleep, only mouse/trackpad will

Dec 30, 2020 1:11 AM in response to selsius

same here ... really unbelievable ... via the USB connection of my monitor I got it working again .... words fail me

concerning an extra hub ... the keyboard requires 20mA of current ... should be an non issue even for a bog standard usb port

Apple Keyboard:

Product ID: 0x0250

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 0.74

Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x02212000 / 29

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 20

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Jan 2, 2021 11:29 AM in response to Iron_Butterfly

On M1 Mac mini, Apple USB keyboard shows up only as "Keyboard Hub" in system report and keyboard doesn't work. Hub has works; connects to iPhone. Keyboard works on iMac in house. Cheap PC USB keyboard works fine on mini.

Have tried USB A and USB C hubs. Still only a Keyboard Hub.

On Big Sur 11.1

USB 3.0 Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleT8103USBXHCIFL1100

PCI Device ID: 0x1100 

PCI Revision ID: 0x0010 

PCI Vendor ID: 0x1b73 

Keyboard Hub:

Product ID: 0x1006

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 96.15

Serial Number: 000000000000

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Apple, Inc.

Location ID: 0x02100000 / 30

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 300

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Jan 14, 2021 5:44 AM in response to Iron_Butterfly

My old wired apple extended keyboard worked fine on Mac Mini M1, but after update to macos 11.1 it stopped working. So now I am using a $10.- chinese keyboard, that works fine. My Logitech Master S2 wireless mouse has never worked on the M1.

Apple is becoming the greatest **** since it only should work with their own expensive ****. Firewire is no longer working unless you buy 2 expesive apple cable adapters $130.-, firewire to minidisplayport and minidisplayport to thunderbolt 3.0. USB 3.0 had a very late integration. USB C is not Apples Thunderbolt 3, so if don't buy the expensive apple cables you are in very deep ****. APPLE IS ****!!!

Jan 14, 2021 8:41 AM in response to Iron_Butterfly

The new Mac mini M1 has two main issues currently, bluetooth and the USB port is not providing enough power.

Hopefully Apple will address these growing pains in the next update.

You should be able to get around the USB issue with an Apple USB-C to USB adapter (MJ1M2AM/A) or by using a high quality active USB hub (cheap simply hubs will not work).

Jan 14, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Iron_Butterfly

Same issue here too with the same keyboard. This is unacceptable. I hope that Apple is monitoring this discussion and will provide an update soon. I have to use a cheap windows USB keyboard to use my M1 Mini and I have no intention to by a $100 BT Keyboard. We are talking about standards here some kind of Thunderbolt 1 or Firewire 400 keyboard.

Jan 16, 2021 1:06 PM in response to MacRevisited

I don't meant to install beta but I am still waiting for mine to deliver from USA amd that will tok a while. I have one a1243 keyboard from my old mac fully working. If you update to 11.2 when it's released then please just plug keyboard and see if it's working so I know then if I purcashe a new keyboard. I will be very thankful if you cann do this and post a message. Thank you.

Jan 28, 2021 9:36 PM in response to ralffromnld

I have exactly the same issue on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) - I have an expensive Belkin pass through adapter - it worked fine for two weeks and then suddenly my USB Apple keyboard. I did all combinations of unplugging and restarting laptop and suddenly it started working. A week later and I am once again scratching head on *** do I do to reset/restart the keyboard?

BTW - the wireless Apple mouse also just stops working occasionally. Not a good look Apple when your own peripherals are bricked.

MacMini M1 2020 doesn't work with wired Apple A1243 keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.