Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring non-purchased iTunes library

I recently purchased a Macbook air to replace my VERY old Macbook Pro. ALL of my music is on the MB Pro - Both purchased and my entire CD collection that I ripped into the computer. I have tried several ways to transfer the files, but only the purchased songs are transferring. I am now able to successfully "see" my whole music library, but when I go to play a non-purchased song (one of the ones from a CD that I previously owned and added to the computer manually), I get the following message: The song “It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

When I say yes to locate it, it takes me to my Finder home page. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? I am super frustrated and the Apple store is closed indefinitely!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 4:58 AM

Not sure what file you transferred, but it obviously didn't contain the media files themselves, just the database.

Go back to the old machine and locate the files, then transfer them over and re-import them to iTunes.

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 6, 2020 7:15 PM in response to KiltedTim

I did not use migration assistant. I know something like that came up when I first got the MB air but I didn’t have time to fool with it at the time. I transferred the whole iTunes file to my passport and then the new computer (deleting the existing iTunes file on the new computer first).

Yes. My music still plays in the old computer.

Transferring non-purchased iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.