Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Catalina move back down to Mojave and iMovie won't go back.

Hello ... I have taken my Catalina OSX down back down to Mojave. (On a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina)

So my iMovie 10.1 which I use for YouTube blogs will not open in the older operation system ...and I find that when I put iMovie 10 in the trash and go to download a copy of Mojave compatible imovie... the App Store simply says I need to upgrade my OSX to use the current iMovie?

I'm a movie composer and found it impossible to live without Quicktime Pro (a 32 Bit app which insists on Mojave) ) ... I use it daily for deleting TC tracks / exporting and then re-inserting re-mixed audio files / changing codecs / picture aspect ratio etc. I would love to find a substitute program but alas nothing comes close ... it's like a swiss army penknife for me.

Incidentally why is Apple moving away from pro aspects of movie production apps? All my movie editor friends had to junk FCP some time back and they moved back to AVID ... all very sad :-(

With best wishes Richard

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 6:32 AM

I have just solved this care of Rich839 .... many thanks.

His trick is put your existing move app in the trash .... then if you go to the app store ... click on your name account bottom left ... look at your purchases ... you'll find iMovie with it's icon in there. (My iMovie purchase was as the very bottom) .... if you click on that, you are asked if you'd like to go back to a version that works with your current operating system ... voila!

Thanks Rich

Best wishes Richard

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 6:32 AM in response to dick the flick

I have just solved this care of Rich839 .... many thanks.

His trick is put your existing move app in the trash .... then if you go to the app store ... click on your name account bottom left ... look at your purchases ... you'll find iMovie with it's icon in there. (My iMovie purchase was as the very bottom) .... if you click on that, you are asked if you'd like to go back to a version that works with your current operating system ... voila!

Thanks Rich

Best wishes Richard

OSX Catalina move back down to Mojave and iMovie won't go back.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.