Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get an iMovie compatible with Catalina?

I just upgraded from Mojave to Catalina, expecting to get the latest (compatible) version of iMovie with it, but no. Just an "X" through the icon in the dock. It was from 2016, version 10.1.1, and even under Mojave it was getting buggy. It would crash when trying to export a project. Reinstalling Mojave didn't fix it, so I went through the hassle of upgrading to the highest macOS a MBP mid-2012 can use.

I've scoured the community and Apple Support looking for a way to download a version of iMovie that's compatible with Catalina. Here's what doesn't work:

• The App Store version of iMovie is 11.5.1, and it says it's not compatible with Catalina.
  • Searching for iMovie 10.3 in the App Store returns no results.
  • Looking under "Purchases" in the App Store, iMove doesn't appear--I never bought it, it came with the Mac, and all the Mac OSX/macOS upgrades since.
  • System Preferences/Software Update hasn't ever suggested an iMovie update to my knowledge.

I hope there's a back door to get iMovie 10.3 or whatever; I'm going over to a more professional editing program but need to access old iMovie projects and export them.

Thanks for your input.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 10:37 AM

Use this procedure to obtain the highest version of iMovie that Catalina will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 10:37 AM in response to TinenTech

Use this procedure to obtain the highest version of iMovie that Catalina will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Mar 10, 2022 5:40 PM in response to TinenTech

If iMovie came with your Mac, then that's a "purchase". It may be in your app store Purchases but is just hidden. In your app store purchases folder there is an item at the top of the pane called "View Information". Click on that and a window will pop up where you can choose to unhide hidden items. Do the unhide procedure and see if your iMovie 10 now is displayed in your purchases. You might need to close out of the app store and re-log in. If it were on your Mac at one time, it should appear. If it does appear, follow the redownload instructions that I posted above in a previous response.

-- Rich

Mar 10, 2022 2:19 PM in response to Rich839

Since I never purchased iMovie, it isn't in my Purchases in the App Store. It seems the App Store has a "statute of limitations" in any case; one of my only downloads from there was for El Capitan, and it has disappeared.

Before the App Store became so dominant, one could download old versions of software from apple.com. I wish it still would.

Mar 16, 2022 8:46 AM in response to SkiBumMexi

SkiBumMexi,

Other than the procedures in my earlier responses in this thread I am not aware of any other way of obtaining an earlier compatible version of iMovie 10.

However, you should post your question in a new thread, and include details like what iMovie 10 version you are trying to update, what OS you are presently running, what happened when you tried the update procedure described earlier in this thread, were you able to see iMovie 10 in your purchases, and so on.

-- Rich

How to get an iMovie compatible with Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.