Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to install a previous version of iMovie that's compatible with Mac OSX Catalina?

My Macbook Pro is a 2012 model, meaning it is not compatible with Mac OSX Big Sur. So I have avoided installing it, despite my computer pestering me with the update notification every day. I need to use iMovie for a project but apparently it updated in the background some time ago and now it is not supported by Catalina, so when I try to open iMovie I get an error message prompting me to update my OS which is obviously not an option. Is there a way to install a previous version of iMovie so I can use the program still or is it a lost cause and I should just uninstall because I won't be able to open it again? Worst case scenario I will install some other video editing software but I really don't want to just for this, I should be able to continue using iMovie.

I tried to get tech support from Apple directly but my serial number was not compatible and I could not find anything on their website that was helpful.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 12:42 AM

2 replies

Jun 4, 2021 7:45 AM in response to regojozsa

Try this procedure and see if you can obtain the highest version of iMovie 10 that your operating system will run: To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Is it possible to install a previous version of iMovie that's compatible with Mac OSX Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.