Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth devices randomly disconnecting and not being notified of some of my messages.

I bought an iPhone 11 in late June of 2020 (at the time I'm writing this it is early December of the same year). I had no problems with it up until I downloaded IOS 14 in mid September. Soon after the update, I noticed my AirPods (and other Bluetooth devices such as car radios and speakers) would randomly disconnect and re-connect automatically. Sometimes it would be once or twice a day with many hours between incidents, and other times it would be in fits of 4 or 5 times in a row within three minutes. Since I had purchased Apple Care+ on my AirPods, I ended up getting them replaced thinking it would fix the problem. But it didn't, and I experienced the issue on the way home from the Apple Store.

A couple weeks later, I distinctly remember having both of my AirPods in the charging case, with the lid closed, resting on the table without me touching it. Even though I hadn't touched them, my phone showed me my AirPods connected to my phone by themselves, then disconnected. I've experienced this issue a few other times as well, which is both strange and annoying to me. I also remember being in the control center menu of my phone (where you adjust the brightness, volume, and connection settings) and watched the Bluetooth completely turn off and back on automatically, followed by the chime of my AirPods disconnecting and re-connecting. It was at that moment I realized the problem may be with my iPhone.

Shortly after that, I found another issue, this time relating to my iPhone itself. My phone began to stop notifying me of text messages about half of the time. Sometimes it notifies me of messages like normal (vibration/sound, lock screen banner, '1' indication over the Messages app, blue dot next to the conversation in the app with the message), but about half of the time, there is no indication to a newly received text message (no notification indications as listed above). In order to see I had a new message, I would have to go into the specific conversation I'm expecting a message for to see if I had a new message. While the AirPods issue was annoying, this issue is a real problem.

For both of these issues, I have not seen any patterns when it comes to when the issues occur based on internet connectivity, background apps, or other potential interference. I have restarted my phone many times, turned off my VPN, deleted every app I've downloaded since September, and even completely reset my phone and restored it from a backup. However, no solution has been reached. I am running the most current update of IOS 14 (14.2.0) and will keep up to date as more updates come out.

Is this an issue with IOS 14 that will be fixed with a future update, or is this a hardware issue that needs repair? Or is it something else entirely? Please let me know if you have any similar problems, questions, or potential solutions.

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 8:07 PM

UPDATE: The messages notifications bug has been fixed with IOS 14.3.0.

Similar questions

1 reply

Bluetooth devices randomly disconnecting and not being notified of some of my messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.