Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone water damage

Hi, I recently founf my phone after it being lost. It was in my garden bed hiding under a bush, still being exposed to the rain as well though( so possible water damage).My phone was out of charge when losing it and then after days I found it. My phone was quite wet but I immediately took out the SIM card and put the phone in a bag of rice. What is my best bet with the phone? Will it ever turn on again? I’ve taken it to an Apple repair centre but it will take 5-7 business days before they do anything. I am really nervous and just praying and trying to keep positive that they will be able to turn my phone on. Does anyone have a similar experience or knowledged in this and know a likely outcome?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 3:20 PM

I wouldn't hold much hope for your phone. As kb1951 suggests, water damage is usually permanent and water damaged phones cannot be repaired.

You should be prepared to purchase either an Out of Warranty replacement or a brand new phone. The Out of Warranty replacement will cost you $399 for an iPhone 8 Plus. You'll have to decide if spending that much on a phone which is no longer sold makes sense.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 3:20 PM in response to malika248

I wouldn't hold much hope for your phone. As kb1951 suggests, water damage is usually permanent and water damaged phones cannot be repaired.

You should be prepared to purchase either an Out of Warranty replacement or a brand new phone. The Out of Warranty replacement will cost you $399 for an iPhone 8 Plus. You'll have to decide if spending that much on a phone which is no longer sold makes sense.

iPhone water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.